Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

HELP!! Live ammunition stuck in chamber.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Bronze Member

HELP!! Live ammunition stuck in chamber.

So we went shooting the other day and my dad couldn't close the bolt on his 22-250 (after trying fairly hard).

Now the live ammunition is stuck in the chamber and we don't know how to get it out. We've tried gently pushing a rod down the barrel and that didn't work. We've lubed the hell out of it and still it won't move....

Any suggestions?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: HELP!! Live ammunition stuck in chamber.

You may have to sacrifice a cleaning rod or something similar. Run it through the muzzle end until it contacts the bullet tip and then tap on the other end of the rod progressively harder until it dislodges. JohnnyK.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Is the bolt still in the rifle? If so, you can tap on the bolt handle to extract the case. Until the bolt is out of the rifle, please do not tap on anything from the muzzle end, it is still a live round.

I haven't done it, but I've heard about filling the barrel with oil, and then putting a tight fitting swab into the barrel and tapping it, the hydraulic action will transfer directly to the cartridge. Of course with the bolt removed from the action and some rags down there to soak up the mess.

Using a cleaning rod will risk damaging the barrel, as it will bend as you whack it and will rub the barrel. Also, you risk wedging between the bullet and the throat, as well as collapsing the neck and making the bullet tighter.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Is the bolt still in the rifle? If so, you can tap on the bolt handle to extract the case. Until the bolt is out of the rifle, please do not tap on anything from the muzzle end, it is still a live round.

I haven't done it, but I've heard about filling the barrel with oil, and then putting a tight fitting swab into the barrel and tapping it, the hydraulic action will transfer directly to the cartridge. Of course with the bolt removed from the action and some rags down there to soak up the mess.

Using a cleaning rod will risk damaging the barrel, as it will bend as you whack it and will rub the barrel. Also, you risk wedging between the bullet and the throat, as well as collapsing the neck and making the bullet tighter.

AJ
+1
This is very good advice

If you put it in buy hand the extractor should be able to remove it safely by tapping on the bolt
handle with a rubber or plastic mallet

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for your suggestions. Yeah the bolt is no longer in the rifle. I'm going to try filling the barrel with oil and using a tight fitting swab... brilliant.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:32 AM
Platinum Member

No danger in using a cleaning rod, but I suggest you use a one piece carbon type that will not damage the bore. If all fails, the barrel will need to be removed.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member

Dont bang on the muzzle too hard or you will damage the crown.
Just cut your losses and take the rifle to a gun smith to safely remove it. I am sure they would not charge too much.