Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

help with hunting load

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 06:54 AM
Gold Member

help with hunting load

Ok so I have been having some difficulty finding a load for my rifle. With some factory ammo I was able to achieve .75 moa so I know the rifle can do it. All loads of powder I have tried have only got me best of 1.25 moa. Someone suggested I start with seating depth now instead of powder charge. So I tried that. I did two things...measured my rifles lands and loaded some .050 and .040 off the lands. I heard factory rifles tend to like .020-.050 off. I then measured the ogive length of the factory ammo that my rifle liked and loaded one set to those specs for shits and giggles.... which was a whopping .150 off the lands. All three shot around MOA which is better then what I got with messing with powder charges. .050 shot the best out of the three at just Under 1moa so I am almost thinking the rifle likes the bullets farther off the lands. My question is should I keep messing with bullet depths... maybe try .060 and .055 or should I stick with the .050 and hope accuracy will increase by increasing powder charge. I am near the bottom of the recommended charge right now so I do have some room to go. Thoughts?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: help with hunting load

What are you shooting and what load, bullet etc. are you using? Give particulars of the rifle, bedding etc.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2506 View Post
What are you shooting and what load, bullet etc. are you using? Give particulars of the rifle, bedding etc.
factory remington mountain SS. 3006...sierra game kings 180 grains. h4350 powder
Old 02-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

Big-My remington 700 Mtn. is blued/wood. it is very accurate for as light as it is. i use a 168 berger ( also 168 cbt and nosler BT) with 50.5 of varget . .030 off. 210m and lapua brass. What are you shooting at?
Old 02-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
Big-My remington 700 Mtn. is blued/wood. it is very accurate for as light as it is. i use a 168 berger ( also 168 cbt and nosler BT) with 50.5 of varget . .030 off. 210m and lapua brass. What are you shooting at?
I will be hunting deer, black bear and possibly elk all no more than 400 yards.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

You may have already achieved your rifles accuracy potential. In my experience those Mt rifles have really light barrels and they heat up really fast, like with two shots, and then start shots moving around. These are hunting rifles not target rifles. They are minute of deer vitals accurate not bug hole shooters.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2506 View Post
You may have already achieved your rifles accuracy potential. In my experience those Mt rifles have really light barrels and they heat up really fast, like with two shots, and then start shots moving around. These are hunting rifles not target rifles. They are minute of deer vitals accurate not bug hole shooters.
that's the thing though...I have achieved .5-.75MOA with factory ammo so I know the rifke can do better. the question I had was should I continue messing with seating depth...or should I take the seating depth that worked best sl far...about 1moa and start messing with powder charger? can I expect any change in accuracy with that?