Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

Help getting setup

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12
Help getting setup

Hey guys,

So I've reloaded twice now, and decided I wanted to piece together my own system. These are the things I have so far, what else would you say I need?
I'll be reloading mainly 40S&W for my Glock and 308win for my Savage 10 FCP-K. I plan to pick up a 454 Casull, 338LM, 44Mag, 45ACP, 25-06, and 30-378WM down the road. Also have an AR build that's slow in progress.
So Far everything feels complete, but I wasn't sure if I was missing anything essential

RCBS Rock Chucker Single Stage (Borrowed from a friend until I get the Forster Co-Ax)
Forster Nat'l Match Bullet Seater
Forster FL Sizer
Forster Neck Sizer
Forster Stuck Case Remover
RCBS Chargemaster
MTM Loading Trays
Satern Funnel
Forster Original Case Trimmer
Dillon Flip Tray
Forster Priming Tool
Harbor Freight Digital Calipers
Lyman 308win Case Gauge
Dillon 40S&W Case Gauge
RCBS Deburring Tool
LEE Primer Pocket Cleaner
Imperial Sizing Wax
LEE Carbide 4 pc Dies for 40S&W
RCBS Flashole Deburring tool
Frankford Arsenal Tumbling kit w/ Walnut and Corn media
Frankford Arsenal Bullet puller
Barnes Reloading Manual
Nosler Reloading Manual
Lyman Reloading Manual
Sierra Reloading Manual
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 224
Re: Help getting setup

Can I come over to your house to reload? lol

Might want to upgrade the bullet puller someday. Using one of the hammer things is a pain. They make one that fits in your press and use collets that match the bullet caliber. These are great if you are pulling lots of bullets ( 20 or so).

Also there is an Imperial graphite media for lubing just the necks. This works great if either full sizing with the wax or if you want to just necks size bottleneck cases.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,081
Re: Help getting setup

Two things I see that to me are very valuable:

#1. A way to measure headspace (avoid over sizing, measure shoulder bump). Hornady makes a kit as do some others.

#2. A way to measure the distance of a loaded round to the lands of the rifling (for long guns). Hornady and Sinclair both make gauges to do this. Get a bullet comparator too to measure OAL to the ogive of the bullet.

Aside from that, you've got a great set-up!

Also, very much like your "going to get" list!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,081
Re: Help getting setup

Also, may want to hunt down a gently used set of Mitutoyo or Starrett digital calipers. IMO very much worth it vs the Harbor Freight variety.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-20-2013, 12:23 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12
Re: Help getting setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by farout View Post
Can I come over to your house to reload? lol

Might want to upgrade the bullet puller someday. Using one of the hammer things is a pain. They make one that fits in your press and use collets that match the bullet caliber. These are great if you are pulling lots of bullets ( 20 or so).

Also there is an Imperial graphite media for lubing just the necks. This works great if either full sizing with the wax or if you want to just necks size bottleneck cases.
haha sure, once everything is setup.

I was looking into those bullet pullers also. The FA Kinetic puller was just a quick purchase early on. But the press ones make more sense.

Yes, I read about that graphite lube on here a while back and totally forgot about it. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
Two things I see that to me are very valuable:

#1. A way to measure headspace (avoid over sizing, measure shoulder bump). Hornady makes a kit as do some others.

#2. A way to measure the distance of a loaded round to the lands of the rifling (for long guns). Hornady and Sinclair both make gauges to do this. Get a bullet comparator too to measure OAL to the ogive of the bullet.

Aside from that, you've got a great set-up!

Also, very much like your "going to get" list!
Thank you,

I just ordered the Hornady Comparator, headspace kit, and overall length gauge.


Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
Also, may want to hunt down a gently used set of Mitutoyo or Starrett digital calipers. IMO very much worth it vs the Harbor Freight variety.
The HF one has been very acurate for me. BUT the Mitutoyo has been on my purchase list, just not at the top of it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,581
Re: Help getting setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedak View Post
Hey guys,

So I've reloaded twice now, and decided I wanted to piece together my own system. These are the things I have so far, what else would you say I need?
I'll be reloading mainly 40S&W for my Glock and 308win for my Savage 10 FCP-K. I plan to pick up a 454 Casull, 338LM, 44Mag, 45ACP, 25-06, and 30-378WM down the road. Also have an AR build that's slow in progress.
So Far everything feels complete, but I wasn't sure if I was missing anything essential

RCBS Rock Chucker Single Stage (Borrowed from a friend until I get the Forster Co-Ax)
Forster Nat'l Match Bullet Seater
Forster FL Sizer
Forster Neck Sizer
Forster Stuck Case Remover
RCBS Chargemaster
MTM Loading Trays
Satern Funnel
Forster Original Case Trimmer
Dillon Flip Tray
Forster Priming Tool
Harbor Freight Digital Calipers
Lyman 308win Case Gauge
Dillon 40S&W Case Gauge
RCBS Deburring Tool
LEE Primer Pocket Cleaner
Imperial Sizing Wax
LEE Carbide 4 pc Dies for 40S&W
RCBS Flashole Deburring tool
Frankford Arsenal Tumbling kit w/ Walnut and Corn media
Frankford Arsenal Bullet puller
Barnes Reloading Manual
Nosler Reloading Manual
Lyman Reloading Manual
Sierra Reloading Manual
One thing you might want to consider for the 40 S&W is a roll sizer. Their chambers are not round, but actually eliptical. Most dies don't get the case exactly round, and they will hang up going into the chamber. I see them every now and then on Ebay. It maybe also be able to size the 45acp as well, but can't say for sure. I like the old Lyman "M" series dies for cast bullets in the 44 mag and similar shaped rounds.

I also see that your neck sizing a little bit. One of the most usefull tools I've ever bought is a set of small hole gauges. They also are handy when working onnthe rifle itself. Calipers are not really precise for precision measurments in bores. Also I'd recommend purchasing a one inch micrometer, and learn to use it.

One of the cheapest aids you can get is a note book! Learn to keep a log book, and you'll save money and time.
gary
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,081
Re: Help getting setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post

I also see that your neck sizing a little bit. One of the most usefull tools I've ever bought is a set of small hole gauges. They also are handy when working onnthe rifle itself. Calipers are not really precise for precision measurments in bores. Also I'd recommend purchasing a one inch micrometer, and learn to use it.

One of the cheapest aids you can get is a note book! Learn to keep a log book, and you'll save money and time.
gary
All of the above is GREAT advice.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 31.62%
74 Votes
NO - 50.85%
119 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 17.52%
41 Votes
Total Votes: 234
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC