Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Help - 30-06 and 215 Hybrid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 PM

Help - 30-06 and 215 Hybrid

I have a 10 twist 30-06 bolt gun that I would like to try the 215 Hybrids, I only have 100 count so I don't have the luxury of spending a lot of time developing the load.

If you would oblige, I sure would like to hear what load works in your 30-06 using these pills.

TIA
Old 08-14-2013, 03:50 AM
Gold Member

Re: Help - 30-06 and 215 Hybrid

Normal load development, testing both seating depth and powder charge, usually requires fewer than 50 rounds to complete. You have plenty of bullets under normal circumstances. With the Hybrids, it has been my experience that it is not even necessary to tune them for seating depth, so the round count for load development is even lower.

I would recommend that you seat your bullets so that the base of the bullet is even with the bottom of the case neck or seat them to mag length (depending on your rifle and what COAL will feed properly). Then, do your powder charge workup with whatever powder you have chosen (I would bet that RL-17 would work really well for this combination).

With a single trip to the range and an expenditure of 25 rounds or less, you should have a load that is tuned to your rifle.

Even if someone else lets you copy their homework, I seriously doubt that you will have better results or fire fewer rounds trying to make someone else's load work in your rifle.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamban View Post
I have a 10 twist 30-06 bolt gun that I would like to try the 215 Hybrids, I only have 100 count so I don't have the luxury of spending a lot of time developing the load.

If you would oblige, I sure would like to hear what load works in your 30-06 using these pills.

TIA

Howdy

Did you ever get a load developed for your Rifle? If so, What do you think of the bullet so far? What did you come up with for a load? Did you chronograph the load? Have you been able to use the bullet on game yet? What is your thought if you have?

I just bought a box and am still waiting for it to come. Its on back order so it could be along time!! As long as it get here before this fall I will be happy. I will be developing a load If I can not find one that has been done already.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMTHunter View Post
Howdy

Did you ever get a load developed for your Rifle? If so, What do you think of the bullet so far? What did you come up with for a load? Did you chronograph the load? Have you been able to use the bullet on game yet? What is your thought if you have?

I just bought a box and am still waiting for it to come. Its on back order so it could be along time!! As long as it get here before this fall I will be happy. I will be developing a load If I can not find one that has been done already.

Just a small update. UPS just came and dropped of a box of 215 grain .308 Hybrid Berger bullets. I was able to get my hands on a box 250! I will be working on a load for a 30-06 with these bullets. Hope they work like planned.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Gold Member

Every rifle I've shot hybrids through require seating depth adjustments like any other bullet. My rifles end up shooting them best at .010 to .015 off the lands
Old 03-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

In my experience with the Berger Hybrids and VLD's, they like to be near the lands, within .015". My Hybrid load likes them just right up on the lands, but not pressed, so maybe .001"-.003" off the lands.

Also, you might wanna look into the Berger 185 VLD "Juggernauts". I am working up a load for my .30-06 Ackley Improved with them and 7828 SSC right now. Ran out of time at the range today, so next time I will do some ladder testing with it. Once I get it fine-tuned, I'll order a 500 box of the Hunting models for whitetails this year.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.