Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Headspacing FL Dies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Headspacing FL Dies?

I use the .002 setback method with good measuring tools when setting up a die. BUT.......I also disasemble the bolt and start sizing the brass untill I can chamber the brass, push the bolt forward, and the bolt closes pretty much by gravity. It should fall freely. You MUST start with a bare bolt. I have found that this is usualy .002" anyway, but like to run them into the chamber this way. Of course I still measure while I do this process. This is also a good way to see if your die and your chamber are a good "match". My comp gun is one that does not match the FL die that I use, so I only neck size for that chamber, only ocasionaly do I FL sizing them. (long story)

This would be a great way to do it if you don't have much in the way of measuring tools!! Of course, having a disasembly tool (if needed) makes the job of taking your bolt apart a cinch. If you don't have should get one.

Unread 12-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

This is our new Digital Headspace Gauge.

I use it to measure shoulder clearance (headspace). Check it out on our website at It's quick and easy to compare your handloads to one of your fireformed cases. That shows exactly how much to adjust your FL dies so that your handloads will fit perfectly in YOUR chamber.

It works on ANY caliber, and it doesn't require special bushings or other tools to make it work. It also compares seating depth (from the ogive).

- Innovative
Unread 12-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Silver Member

I know what I want for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!

NRA life Member

US Army 79 - 85, 368th Combat Battalion, Sarget Spec-5, Combat Engineer

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Unread 12-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

What took you so darn long???? my check just went out--- Best wishes
Member, Revolutionary War Veterans Association