Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Having some problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Having some problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig View Post
As stated if using Winchester brass this is probably the issue. Winchester QC is nonexistent these days. I have had pockets way to shallow and other so thin as to be discarded new. Best of luck.
It seems it is really the pockets that are the issue. I've been using them and they do the job, but you've got to play with the pockets first.
I tried to kill a Winchester 270 win brass the other day by repeatedly necking it between 270 and 35 whelen in one step with just normal case lube and a touch of lube in the neck. It took three passes each way before it had developed enough uneven neck growth that I tossed it. Even then with a bit of neck turning and a trim to square it would have been fine. This was once fired brass too. And it was one of the brass you have to deepen the pockets on.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member

I noticed this with Nosler brass, what it turned out to be in my case was that the thickness of the case head behind the extractor grove was a bit thinner, and I was using a hand held priming tool. So I just ran out of priming ram. the solution for me was pretty simple. Start using the Lee saftey prime in my press
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 07-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Hunter View Post
My K&M primer pocket cutter says a larger rifle pocket is cut .131" deep.
This is correct.
My Sinclair uniformer mill for large rifle measures this, and so do pockets cut with it.
I have a K&M pocket cutter that measures the same.
The correct seating of primers is 2-5thou of CRUSH, and the only seater that provides for this accurately is the indicated K&M.

If you cut deeper with your Sinclair, and seat properly, they'll be below case head.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

"..I really don't have an accurate way to measure the protrusion after seating.

If by "the protrusion after seating" you mean anvil protrusion, maybe you do but that's not the issue. For that, there's a trick to it. Measure the depth of a pocket and fully seat a primer in it, the anvil will then be driven home so it won't matter anymore. Then measure the difference in how deep the seated primer is - that will be your cup depth which IS the issue. Or you could just measure a fired primer's height after you pry the anvil out. If the cup height is less than your pocket depth there is no reason your seated primers should be proud of the case head. If the cups are higher than your pockets are deep there's no way you're going to seat flush or below the heads.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Varmint Hunter, you measured your 210/215s at .1265 and that's what mine measure as well.
The cups are ~10thou shallower, but they won't perform their best fully mashed to this. That is not per their design. You're gonna end up cracking/breaking pellets if you seat to cup.

Is your Sinclair mill 0.131" ?