Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Having a bad day with the .300 RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 10:12 AM

Having a bad day with the .300 RUM

Ok I'm trying to work up a .300 RUM and trying to get OAL about .015 off the lands with a 200 Nosler AB. Problem IS when I get to where I want my starting point to be with the bullet my gun turns into a single shot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] The cartridge is too long for the magazine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]I prefer the gun to be a repeater. So big question IS. Just how much shorter than the magazine does the OAL of the .300 RUM have to be to work thru the magazine.I can make it just under or right at but is there a magic number for OAL to be to work thru a Remington LA [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Man when you pull one of those 200 grain Noslers AB's out of the box and look at them you just think MAN thats too long. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] When you get the bullet seated into the case and about the same length as the magazine the bullet has to be seated way down below the case neck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] This whole thing is beginning to go way past what I thought was the right way to do things. Just never have worked with that big of a case and bullet before. Factory federals worked fine in the gun but I didn't measure any of them for OAL. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Silver Member

Re: Having a bad day with the .300 RUM

In order to put rounds into the magazine and have it usable as a "repeater" you will have to seat them for length accordingly. I could measure mine for you but I am using 180gr. Accubonds for hunting. I just kept seating them until they worked. Do about 4-5 rounds and see how they shoot. Lived with the group that gave me which was not too bad. Any better ideas out there, other than keeping it a single shot, I would be interested?
1kstr
Old 03-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

My 300 Rum is on a M-70 action and 3.6" is as long as the magazine will allow loaded rounds to function,I believe that the M-700 Magazine is a little longer and will allow a little longer LOAL My 300Rum with 180 TXS, or 180 and 200 Accubond will shoot in the .4 MOA loaded to fit the magazine. If the throat is cut correctly then your rifle should shoot quite well even if you have to load well short of the lands
Old 03-28-2007, 11:08 AM

Its a custom built .300 Rum with a Hart barrel. It was shooting .400 with Federal Factory ammo. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] But then I only had one box I shot thru it to varify the accuracy of the guy I had bought it from. He had 80 rounds of federal factory down the tube before I bought it from him. He hadn't shot it with any handloads as he had planned on it being his Elk rifle until he got the hots for long range black powder cartridge rifle matches shortly after he had it and its .25-06AI stable mate built. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] All he really did to either of them was break in the barrels and get them sighted in. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
It sure seems a waste to let all the case capacity be used up by the bullet though and its too bad that there isn't a way to seat that bullet out further without making the rifle a single shot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Silver Member

Some of the guys on here speak about a extended mag for the mod 700. I think its called the Wyatt magazine. Takes a smith to put it in also I think. Some one with more knowlege of it will speak up here pretty soon. It may get you where you want to be with your OAL. I just live with mine at 3.670 using the 200 ab. fits the mag and shoots well enough.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

I am working up a load for my 300WSM in a Tikka T-3. The magazine length is 2.9", the Max ejectable length is 3.036", and for the particular bullet I chose the max length to lands is 3.073". I was angry to say the least! For my first test after barrel break in, was to use Identical rounds except for length. I was delighted to find the best shooter was the one that fit in the mag, and the groups got larger as the OAL increased. Go figure.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Gold Member

Bill,

Tim /Tx has his bullets seated pretty deep so they will fit the magazine, shooting a factory RUM. They generally shoot around 1" or less at 300yds pretty consistantly when he is on top of things. They look a little off, but I will take the groups over the looks any day, and he is getting some pretty decent velocity to boot. He used H-1000 and it works great for his. Might be worth a try.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"