Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Has anyone ever heard of annealing Hornady SSTs or InterBonds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

Has anyone ever heard of annealing Hornady SSTs or InterBonds?

I read this just a bit ago, and was just curious if any of you had heard of this?

"Annealing can produce two benefits. In the first instance, it helps the frontal area of both the SST and IB to swage back after expansion, the frontal area folds back against the bullet shank and the reduced frontal area allows for much deeper penetration- but without sacrificing wound channel diameters.

In the second instance, at long range, the softer ogive gives faster expansion, imparting energy more readily, improving wound channel diameters. This helps the Interbond to create broad wounding at ranges of around 400 yards in various calibiers while allowing the SST to produce admirable performance out to ranges exceeding 1000 yards."
Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Has anyone ever heard of annealing Hornady SSTs or InterBonds?

no i havent but i know that Barnes anneals their bullets before polishing them and packaging them.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 06-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Silver Member

How could this be done w/o melting the plastic tip????
Old 06-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Gold Member

It is discussed on an informative website on rifles and hunting. I believe the fellow is a forum member and his location is New Zealand I believe.

I have the website link saved as favorite on my home laptop.....
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Gold Member

This is link to the site. You will have to poke around on it to find the actual discussion.

.280 Remington
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldon View Post
This is link to the site. You will have to poke around on it to find the actual discussion.

.280 Remington
Yep, thats where I read it. He actually has a tutorial that shows you how on his site. Thats where I got the above info. I was just wondering how relavant it is, and if anyone here had tested it?
Old 06-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

i havent tested it but i am wondering if a Barnes would benefit from this?

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755