Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hart's "case saver"primer pocket swager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Silver Member

Annealer?

Hello ss7mm,

I was thinking long and hard about getting an annealer like that or the one from zephyer(sp) dynamics. I just don't know which one to get.

I like that kens machine rotates the cases but I would have to get different size trays for the diff. Size cases. Whereas the zephyer system can accomadate cases up to and including the 50 BMG. But it doesn't rotate the cases although it has a split torch system so as of right now still undecided.

How do you like yours? And are my issues really no issue?

Thanks a lot,

Dave
Old 08-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

I really like my annealer and Ken is great about answering questions etc. It's a big heavy duty unit that comes well packaged and should last several lifetimes.;) I prefer the one that rotates the cases as I want the annealing as even as possible, thus I went with the Light unit.

Once you've set it up a time or two and get the hang of it, it goes really quickly and you can do a couple of hundred cases in no time at all. I set it up in my shop with the lights off and one door open so the color is easy to see and adjust. Just put them in one side and catch them in a suitable container as they drop out.;)

I don't remember the exact cost of the wheels but they aren't much and will do several different cases per wheel.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys for the link, photo, and explanation. Got two ordered pronto. Small and large.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Silver Member

ss7mm,

Thanks alot for your info on Kens annealer I feel the same way you do I like the idea of spinning cases for uniform results I respect your opinion so thanks again for taking the time to reply to my question.

Aloha,

Dave
Old 08-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Hart's "case saver"primer pocket swager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat338 View Post
ss7mm,

Thanks alot for your info on Kens annealer I feel the same way you do I like the idea of spinning cases for uniform results I respect your opinion so thanks again for taking the time to reply to my question.

Aloha,

Dave
You won't go wrong with Ken's annealer or the Brass-O-Matic. What I prefer about the brass-o-matic is that the brass is NOT moving when under the flame. It is torched from both sides and is in the flame for a fixed time. It can hold any case. You do not have to spend $50 on each extra wheel. Ken's annealer is spinning the case but it is never in a flame at any fixed point, however, it appears to be a better built, more sturdy annealer.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
Ken's annealer is spinning the case but it is never in a flame at any fixed point, however, it appears to be a better built, more sturdy annealer.
Not arguing the point or anything, but, having used Ken's unit for several years now I'd have to disagree. The case is in each torch's flame for the amount of time and intensity of flame that I want, and is dictated by how I set the torches up.

Yes the case moves into the flame and then out of the flame so it doesn't just sit there for a period of time if that's what you mean, but it's in the flame none the less and the correct color etc. happens on each and every case. In fact, if you were to set it up wrong, you could easily destroy the case by having it in the flame and under too much heat for too long.

I've got to agree about the construction and quality of Ken's unit. That was the first thing I noticed when I unpacked it.;)
Old 08-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
Thanks guys for the link, photo, and explanation. Got two ordered pronto. Small and large.
GG, could you post some feedback here on this Hart tool after you get a chance to try them out? I'm interested but also reading mixed opinions on some other forums. Thanks,

Paul