Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hart's "case saver"primer pocket swager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Hart's "case saver"primer pocket swager

Someone here posted a link a while back to a product that they had some interest in, but no one here seemed to have any experiance with it. It was called a "case saver" primer pocket swager to the best of my recollection. I got one to try out. I can say without a doubt that it is money well spent.
Using this product I was able to get 9 firings from a Jamison 338AM case and the primer pocket will still hold. After 4 loadings I used the swager once, I did not have to use it again. I retired the case after 9 firings because the flash hole was eroding somewhat.
The real reason I bought the tool was to try and salvage 100 pieces of .308 Lapua brass that only had one firing.....yea the load was hot. I was able to salvage all 100 pieces even the one that pierced a primer. I was so excited that it worked for that I then saved a bunch of 7RUM brass that I had abused a bit.
This tool works so well it is one of those gadgets that will make you mumble, "why didn't I think of that."
Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

Hey Eddybo I've had one for quite awhile now and my feelings are the same as yours. I also bought it for the same reason as you to salvage some brass for my 30-416 Rigby Imp. That was run a little on the hot side. Trust me when you go thru all that trouble necking down the brass fireforming,reaming etc you want to get a little more than one or two firings
Old 08-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Not to mention neck turning, even if your just cleaning them up. I may have to start annealing brass now. I usually have the primer pockets pretty trashed by the time the necks get stiff, so never have annealed much brass. Looks like I am going to be starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat338 View Post
Hey Eddybo I've had one for quite awhile now and my feelings are the same as yours. I also bought it for the same reason as you to salvage some brass for my 30-416 Rigby Imp. That was run a little on the hot side. Trust me when you go thru all that trouble necking down the brass fireforming,reaming etc you want to get a little more than one or two firings
Old 08-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
I may have to start annealing brass now. I usually have the primer pockets pretty trashed by the time the necks get stiff, so never have annealed much brass. Looks like I am going to be starting.
I always annealed the hard way but I finally broke down 2 or 3 years back and bought one of these from Ken Light and wish I'd done it a whole lot sooner. Annealing is fun now. It's one of those things that you hate to pay the price for, but given the work that goes into making one and how easy it makes the job, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.;)
BC 1000 Automatic Case Annealer
Automatically anneals 1,000 case necks per hour. Increases brass life and improves accuracy. Ensures proper chamber seal. A must for forming wildcat cartridges. Comes complete with one cartridge head wheel. Additional wheels available, .22 Hornet to .50 cal. BMG.
$350.00
Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
Someone here posted a link a while back to a product that they had some interest in, but no one here seemed to have any experiance with it. It was called a "case saver" primer pocket swager to the best of my recollection. I got one to try out. I can say without a doubt that it is money well spent.
Using this product I was able to get 9 firings from a Jamison 338AM case and the primer pocket will still hold. After 4 loadings I used the swager once, I did not have to use it again. I retired the case after 9 firings because the flash hole was eroding somewhat.
The real reason I bought the tool was to try and salvage 100 pieces of .308 Lapua brass that only had one firing.....yea the load was hot. I was able to salvage all 100 pieces even the one that pierced a primer. I was so excited that it worked for that I then saved a bunch of 7RUM brass that I had abused a bit.
This tool works so well it is one of those gadgets that will make you mumble, "why didn't I think of that."

Can you elaborate on this? How's it work? How much? Got any pics? Thanks!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Hart's "case saver"primer pocket swager. If you don't have the catalog you can download it here: RW Hart Catalog

Old 08-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

As you can see the case goes over the post, then the punch goes through the flash hole into the end of the post. You then tap it with something....I am using my plastic bullet puller. The outer edge of the punch pushes a small ring of material from the outer edge into the primer pocket. You can barely tell anything happened when you look at he case, but your cases feel new again when you seat your primers. They seal off just like new cases.
I do not know how well it would work for small primer pockets especially lapua 220 russian brass because of it deep seating, but it works great for large rifle cases.