Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Harrell powder measure, how does it work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Gold Member

Re: Harrell powder measure, how does it work?

I guess there are some tricks to make it work, how about spraying inside of it with static guard? Or it could be related to how much powder you put in the bottle? Switching to different powders, well all my powders are stick powders, like for my 6BR I use Varget and RL-15, then 260 uses RL-17, H4831SC and H4350, with 270 RL-19 and 22. Before buying Harrell I did research on RCBS Chargemaster and Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge and both yield same issue down the road when push buttons would stop responding, same thing happen to my sonic cleaner when ON button was no longer working, so I thought Harrell would be nice thing to have.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Gold Member

I think I got it, two taps when handle points up, then 2 taps when handle points down... Somehow its been more consistent I tried it like 10 times and all of the powder charges were right on the mark, but for this test I used RL-15, it has smaller granules vs Varget, and for the top cap I used plastic bag with rubber band over it...
Old 07-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

IMR and Hodgedon powder bottles screw directly onto the threads on the Harrells
Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Gold Member

that's weird, I did try to screw cap from the bottom in-to IMR/Hodgdon bottles, but it wouldn't go, hmm let me try bottle then... Still would make any sense I thought that would be different thread...

PS... Just tried it and it does work!!! Thank you
Old 07-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
I think I got it, two taps when handle points up, then 2 taps when handle points down... Somehow its been more consistent I tried it like 10 times and all of the powder charges were right on the mark, but for this test I used RL-15, it has smaller granules vs Varget, and for the top cap I used plastic bag with rubber band over it...

Thats great !!!!

In the Long Range hunting/shooting business it is amazing how little things make such a difference,
and are nessary for the precision nessary for our form of shooting.

Casual short range shooting is not as demanding and these differences would not matter to most
unless they are trying for Groups.

Also the Longer grain stick powders will work, just not as well in "Any powder measure" so Most of
the time I will measure short and trickle the rest (Slower but accurate).

The powder companies are aware of this and some have re-shaped their most troublesome powders
like H4831 to H 4831 Short cut.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Roper View Post
IMR and Hodgedon powder bottles screw directly onto the threads on the Harrells
not on mine! Mine uses a much smaller bottle, but perhaps some of the larger ones do that
gary
Old 07-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
that's weird, I did try to screw cap from the bottom in-to IMR/Hodgdon bottles, but it wouldn't go, hmm let me try bottle then... Still would make any sense I thought that would be different thread...

PS... Just tried it and it does work!!! Thank you

Sinclair sells bottles with an open top & plug for the larger size bottle like you have. I thought you had one that takes smaller bottles. Are you using drop tubes? They are a must have with the Lyman and the Harrell (Sinclair sells them in different lengths and I.D.'s)
gary