Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hard turning bolt.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 10:16 AM

Hard turning bolt.

I have been using reloads in my 243 wssm for over a year now. I usually shoot 85gr sierra but I got my buddy to load me up some 55gr sierras( 44.5grs of 4895) this time. I went shooting the following day, I had one neck to split( which I figured it was due to being a hot load) But my concern is when I was chambering a round, some of the ammo made the bolt hard to turn . The brass was only on its second reload, so I dont know what could have caused it. Any ideas would be helpful.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Silver Member

Re: Hard turning bolt.

I would have to say that the brass needs to be full length sized in order to chamber in your rifle. Were these brass once fired in your rifle?
Old 03-17-2009, 02:03 PM

yeah i bought brand new brass. I shot every one in my rifle. Thats what I do not understand???
Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Silver Member

The bolt lugs will flex some. Repaeted firing of the brass with out bumoing the shoulder back will add up. Not sure about the neck spilting.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Improper sizing and/or you need to trim the necks.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Bronze Member

I have been using reloads in my 243 wssm for over a year now. I usually shoot 85gr sierra but I got my buddy to load me up some 55gr sierras( 44.5grs of 4895) this time. I went shooting the following day, I had one neck to split( which I figured it was due to being a hot load) But my concern is when I was chambering a round, some of the ammo made the bolt hard to turn . The brass was only on its second reload, so I dont know what could have caused it. Any ideas would be helpful.

How good of a friend is this ? what do you know of his reloading talents ?
Just asking.
Hot load? well how hot ? Did they extract hard or only go in hard ?
Split neck on a second reload?
Did the cases extract hard after you fired them the first time?.
You say it was the second reload--was it new brass when you loaded it for the first time?
Did you question him on how he sized the cases? f/l --neck--shoulder bump--
seating? were the bullets seated to far out? to deep in the neck?

some of the ammo made the bolt hard to turn . Why only some?
Do you have any of the ammo left ? If so I would pull a bullet and check the powder weight--also COL.
how many things would cause a hard to chamber round. ?
Case not sized enough--shoulder needs to be bumped--bullets out to far--
Brass not from your rifle and only neck sized.
I would think if the first time around were not hot loads they should have chambered in your rifle even lightly f/l sized and even just neck sized.

I went shooting the following day, I had one neck to split( which I figured it was due to being a hot load) If i didn't ask for a hot load I would have quit at that point, and started asking questions.
We all talk about consistency when hand loading--how consistent can it be when someone else is doing it for us?

Hey I don't want to be a pain in the ass here but we need to know a little more, and I am just trying to help.

GW.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:29 PM

My buddy has been reloading for almost 30 years. He reloads alot of my rifles and a bunch of others where I live. The brass was brand new. It was on its second reload when I was shooting. The bolt has hard when chambering and ejecting. I trust this guy with every rifle I have. But out of 20 rounds, I think only 4 was a problem. Im not sure how he sizes or what not. I havent had the chance to talk to him about the problem yet. The reputation he has for knowledge of rifles and reloading is very very good! I heard that the brass could expand, are they any truth to that?