Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hard time between Forster and Redding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Hard time between Forster and Redding

On this page I found some modifications a guy can make to his Forster press that might make it easier to work with: RSI - Loading Bench Projects

The elbow shaped brackets on the sides would be easy enough to do. I'm kind of surprised the manufacturer hasn't done something with that yet. The handle going off to the side might be a bit tougher to do, that and I'm not sure if that might affect the function of the press. Both of those mods do look like it would make it more friendly to use though.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkidaho View Post
On this page I found some modifications a guy can make to his Forster press that might make it easier to work with: RSI - Loading Bench Projects

I have fabricated a number of co-ax parts; the jaws, the wear plate, the screws, and the jaw housing.

I do have my eye on those 34) links. I can vary the distance between the holes to get my Bonanza and Forster presses to match die adjustments.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post

I have fabricated a number of co-ax parts; the jaws, the wear plate, the screws, and the jaw housing.

I do have my eye on those 34) links. I can vary the distance between the holes to get my Bonanza and Forster presses to match die adjustments.

I fabbed a new set of jaws a few years back, but have never used them! Made them out of A2 full hardened, and then ground flat after heat treat. The jaws were cut apart on a wire EDM along with the slots. The holes were all done on a Brigeport. The clamps were also made new and are much beefier. Jaws are setup for .0035" clearence. But have never used them as the factory ones worked very well after I modded them slightly (I almost never bother to flip the jaws when changing cases.)

I still use the original priming device a lot, and make my own shell holders with a Hi-Roc drill in a lathe. Use RCBS holders mostly as they are the easiest to punch a hole thru (softer). Lee's are the hardest by far, and will often raise a really nasty burr. I think I punch the hole with an 8mm drill. for about .003" clearence on the plunger (I'd have to measure them to make sure)

The dove tail plate locating system has been around for twenty plus years, and suspect that the folks that marketed them stole the idea out of the Ried Tool catalog. They sell them already made but with no mounting holes for the press of course. I built aseries of risers for the press out of 3" aluminum H beam I found in a junk yard. Simply welded a plate on top and bottom with the mounting holes already done. The one I'm using now has 20 degrees of cant machined in it, and I really like that better than being strait up (I see things better). I stole the idea from another guy that built his out of square tubing (steel), but when I saw the six foot long H beam I knew that was what I wanted to use.
gary