Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hard time between Forster and Redding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

Hard time between Forster and Redding

From everything I've read, I think I want the Forster Co-Ax press. I've also seen a lot of good about the Redding. That and a current deal is making it really hard not to swing that way.

I don't have to hurry and buy now, but if there was ample argument for the Redding, then I would jump on the group buy. I'm good with waiting and spending a bit more for the Forster setup, but with my lack of experience I guess I just want to know if that's the smart thing to do?
Old 12-25-2011, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

Re: Hard time between Forster and Redding

Read how the Forster works and you won't have a hard time deciding. It has more
leverage, instant die changes with no additional bushings and no need for shell plates.
It also grips the rim well enough that you should never stick a case with it.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:56 AM
Bronze Member

i love my forester press, its very simple to use. i also have the forester dies for my 7mm STW and i have the redding bushing dies for my 338 LM. I haven't had any problems with the press loading or using the primer on it and it is very consistent when loading
Old 12-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Gold Member

i have used RCBS, Dillon and Forster Coax. Most are happy with whatever they own and they are usually up to the task.

I now have a Co-ax and am quite happy but if I found a smoking hot deal, i would easily buy a redding.

i am not sure 40% off MSRP is all that great. determine which press you are interested in and then shop the many venues and see if the price is close to the normal offered prices.

I found that since I did not need shell holders nor did I need special set up to allow me to switch dies easily, the Coax was great and if you do searches on this site it's virtues are many. But al have plenty of champions that support them.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Silver Member

I use a forster and love it..It works better with the short handle than all
the others with longer handles..Use it every week on 338/378 wby.mag
and 338 lapua.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

I have never used the forester so I can not compare But I am very pleased with the Redding T-7, infact I now have 2 so my son and I can load together. I use it for all my precision reloading and my ammo has never been better in 30 yrs of handloading. With the redding Comp bushing dies I get consistant average run out of .0005"

Jeff
Old 12-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkidaho View Post
From everything I've read, I think I want the Forster Co-Ax press. I've also seen a lot of good about the Redding. That and a current deal is making it really hard not to swing that way.

I don't have to hurry and buy now, but if there was ample argument for the Redding, then I would jump on the group buy. I'm good with waiting and spending a bit more for the Forster setup, but with my lack of experience I guess I just want to know if that's the smart thing to do?
the difference between the two is much more than paper. In the long run the Forster is cheaper. You'll not be buying shell holders, and it comes with a pretty good priming device built into it. The ram does not torque with the Co-Ax, and thus will stay tighter for it's lifetime. Sooner or later your gonna want to try case forming, and the power of the Co-Ax really starts to show up when you look at those 35 degree shoulders being pushed back. As I've said before I bought mine in 1978, and it's as tight and square today as it was in 1978. The only thing I ever do is to oil the guide rods three or four times a year and put a couple drops of oil on the sliding jaws. They don't call it the Cadillac of presses for nothing
gary