Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hard bolt closing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 AM

Hard bolt closing

Hi. I am having a problem with my 22-250. after resizing and trimmming and loading the bullets, i find my bolt closes with much difficulty. when i turn my full length resizing die down and push the shoulder further back it does ease of the hard bolt closing but not much, problem is i cant turn it down more as i am using a lnl hornady ap press and when i pull the handle down it wont give me a full stroke due to the die being to far in. What could be the solution to this problem of mine. i load also for my 308 and my 300 win mag and have absoloutly no problems with those case after sizing them.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Hard bolt closing

Sounds to me like your projectile (bullet) is too far out of the case (when loading in the rifle) and it's hitting the lands when you try to close the bolt. Are there rifling marks on the sides of the projectile (look closely at the ogive) and see if it's marked in any way.

You need a certain amount of jump from the seated bullet/brass to the lands prior to ignition. Different guns, different jump. My rule of thumb is 10 (thousand's) or more off the lands as a starting point.

Try loading one to Sammi specification for COAL and see if that eliminates the issue.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 AM

I use to load it 1.5 off the lands initially then I thiuggt that was the problem so I started loading it to book specs n still same results. I am out of solutions
Old 07-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHMOODB View Post
Hi. I am having a problem with my 22-250. after resizing and trimmming and loading the bullets, i find my bolt closes with much difficulty. when i turn my full length resizing die down and push the shoulder further back it does ease of the hard bolt closing but not much, problem is i cant turn it down more as i am using a lnl hornady ap press and when i pull the handle down it wont give me a full stroke due to the die being to far in. What could be the solution to this problem of mine. i load also for my 308 and my 300 win mag and have absoloutly no problems with those case after sizing them.
If it cycles perfectly with factory loaded ammo but wont close on your reloads......get a used single stage press from E-Bay and use IT to resize your cases...
Old 07-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

...or Craigslist. Didn't consider that but then, I've always used a single stage one-at-a-time reloading press.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
...or Craigslist. Didn't consider that but then, I've always used a single stage one-at-a-time reloading press.

Me too...but I had the same problem between 2 of my 22-250's. One factory and 1 custom made. I bought a used 22-250 die from E-Bay and a loader also and set it up JUST FOR the rounds to go into my Stiller actioned rig
Old 07-22-2013, 08:58 AM

K im gona try some factory loads the weekend and ill give you the feedback