Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

This Happened to Me----Once! Was Enough!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: This Happened to Me----Once! Was Enough!

Glad you're OK, Roy. And thanks for sharing that. I've had primers back out like that. If I notice it in time, I used the depriming die to gently push out the primer the rest of the way, but I'm sure I've had fully loaded rounds, as you had, with backed out primers and used the impact puller to take apart the round. Perhaps in the future I'll gently reseat the primer and immediatly shoot it when out shooting. Perhaps that's safer? Any other ideas? Or, get a differently kind of puller, like Roy did.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Old 10-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Gold Member

Man Roy,

I'm voting for devine intervention. Sounds like a close call. I'm glad that I'm not runnng loose primer pockets, but It sounds like a pocket repair too may be the next purchase you gotta make.

BTW,

got the 6.5-06AI loads ready, just need to find a calm day to come down and shoot'm off.

Dan
Old 10-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Roy.....I live up in Rathdrum Id. and have been using those things for thirty years. thanks for the warning! Were you using an extruded powder? I'm wondering if when the primer came up, a piece of powder came trough the flash hole (I''ve had it happen) and maybe helped set off the primer with a follow up hit. I don't know????....Rich
p.s. you DID say 7828 which is an extruded powder.....
Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

I would bet that most of the members that reload have those kinetic energy hammers, thanks for the heads up!!!
Glad to know you are OK?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Gold Member

I was going to get me one of those hammer pullers since the one I bought which I thought was a complete tool, wasn't... Thanks for the heads-up!
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 10-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

ROYINIDAHO, You were lucky and blessed with more days. My son and I were pulling bullets for some reason using the hammer kinetic puller on a 7mm rem mag, full load of powder, 140 gr bullet when a primer went off. Everything remained the same. talk about thanking the Lord. It would have killed or hurt seriously both of us. Needless to say we now use a RCBS bullet puller system.

Thank the Lord