Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

hand priming tool or automatic priming tool from RCBS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

hand priming tool or automatic priming tool from RCBS?

ive used both and like the automatic priming tool better but have heard from people the the automatic priming tool tends to push the primer in to far and you get inconsistant depths.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: hand priming tool or automatic priming tool from RCBS?

IMO, the problem with either is that primer seating should not be seen about consistency in depth, but consistency in function.
The ONLY primer tool that provides this is an indicated K&M.
It's the only tool that measures pocket depth to uncrushed primer height for zeroing, and indicates the desired crush of fully seated. All other tools are based on pretty much nothing that could be considered a standard for primer function.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
IMO, the problem with either is that primer seating should not be seen about consistency in depth, but consistency in function.
The ONLY primer tool that provides this is an indicated K&M.
It's the only tool that measures pocket depth to uncrushed primer height for zeroing, and indicates the desired crush of fully seated. All other tools are based on pretty much nothing that could be considered a standard for primer function.
I use the K&M without the dial indicator, and the feel is excellent, but as good as it is I think the Sinclair is a little better. But on the otherhand the feel means little if you know exactly where your at in seating the primer. So I do agree with you about the K&M. But to add to this, I've also found that seating Federals seems to work better with the K&M than just about anyother seating device I've seen (I pretty use nothing but Federals and CCI's). I've owned the RCBS handtool, and it's a toy compaired to the other two.
gary
Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

'Feel' is merely merchandising.
The indicated K&M directly demonstrates this..
Old 11-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
'Feel' is merely merchandising.
The indicated K&M directly demonstrates this..
yet the vast majority of IBS shooters use a Sinclair (I don't). The idea is to be able to feel the primer crush as it's seated. My hands are so screwed up these days that I really can't feel the crush very much at all, and will agree with you that the indicator setup would work better for me.
gary
Old 11-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

The vast majority of competition shooters embrace every shortcut in sight.
Just opposite of what the few true competitors do..

The only way to set crush to specific value is to measure it during seating. Primer makers suggest 2thou crush as per design. But local factors change optimum crush setting.
Things like pocket depth, firing pin/spring/drop, action timing, headspace, shoulder angle, extractor fit, temperature, primer brand type & powder/load/cartridge capacity.

Smashing a primer into the seat by feel only brings the probability of reliable 'firing'.
But play with some or any of these factors and just watch what happens to a great load.
Well, that is if you're shooting anything other than a 6PPC or 30br at extreme pressures(the ultimate work-around).
Old 11-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

I uniform my primer pockets with the EJS tool and use an RCBS bench mount priming tool that primes one case at a time. Excellent tactile feel and I handle every primer. Some will cringe at that but for all the years I've been reloading I've never had a cartridge fail to fire. You can see them on the left side of my bench in this photo. I have one set up for both large and small primers.