Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

H4350 Flat Base Bullets and Now, Success

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

H4350 Flat Base Bullets and Now, Success

I got a tip from Paul, from the Sierra Teck tip hotlline. I told him about my long throut on my .243 AI and the trouble I was having getting anything to shoot...... He told me that often times when you have a long throut you have a wide throut to .004-.005 over bullet diameter and when that happens you can not get boat-tail bullets to shoot.
I bought some Flat Base 100gr Sierra Pro Hunters and loaded up with 44.0gr of H4350 44.5 and 45.0 That did it my groups went .404, .416, and .487 No boat tail bullet ever came close ...................... Thats more than enough for me .
Now I plan on trying some 88gr Berger Match Varmint Flat base and see what happens.........
I never would have thought that would make a difference ..................going from shooting 1.5 groups to .4............................now that's a huge improvment.

Greg
Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Gold Member

Re: H4350 Flat Base Bullets and Now, Success

Is is because the flat base bullets leave straighter due to increase contact with the neck of the shell?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
Is is because the flat base bullets leave straighter due to increase contact with the neck of the shell?
I'm wondering the same exact thing... I don't quite understand how the flat base makes such a big difference. But obviously something is going on to make for some great groups!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Gold Member

I dont know why but I sure saw the results..................I was a wits end, to the point of sending it back to the Smith to have it cheked out. Even had the paper work done to send in my scope to Leupold to have that checked out. The only thing is that some companies like Nosler dont have hardly any Flat base bullets. Even Sierra has just a few. Hornady only has the SST.
I will be hunting Elk this fall with the .243 AI, Cow Elk. I will also be hunting Black Bear so Im leaning towards and have ordered some Speer 100gr. Grand Slams, being flat base bullets........... I see that Swift makes a flat base bullet but not in .243, A-Frame. The .243AI is fine out to 400yards on Deer and Antelope. So flat base will work find out to that distance.......
I will do some more load development with the 100gr Sierra and H4350, glad I did not sell the 8lbs I bought...........
Then I will try the 88gr Berger Match Flat base Varmint bullets.........................

I called back Paul at the Sierra hot line and thanked him ..............he saved me a lot of time money and tons of frustrations.

Greg
Old 05-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Gold Member

I know of a few other guys who have really been helped out by Sierra's customer service. They really seem to know bullets and how to make them shoot.

Good to hear you finally were able to get your gun to shoot...

And now you also know that nothing is wrong with your Leupold!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Gold Member

I dont have much proof and there is the chance this statement is completely unfounded but i believe flat base bullets have slightly better terminal results than boat tail bullets.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Gold Member

The Sierra Teck told me that he had the same problem with a Custom Rifle and shooting flat base bullets solved his problem like mine................