Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Gunpowder Availability?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Gunpowder Availability?

I've been seeing a lot more Hodgdon locally over the last 6-8weeks. Varget, H4831, Retumbo, and H4350 specifically. Maybe the local guys here are getting supply from the last shipment to hit the wholesalers? In any case, it has seemed better lately to me . . .
Old 07-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Silver Member

In Billings I have lately been able to get IMR 8208 XBR, H4895, Varget, H4350 and several others I have no use for like H4831 or IMR 4198. You have to hit Scheel's, Cabela's, Big R, and Big Bear Sports and buy powder when it's available. The sales limit is usually two pounds total, or one pound of one type. Big Bear lets you have two pounds of one type. Where sales limits are imposed, there is usually something available. I try to always have 2 pounds of each rifle powder on hand at all times, plus the fact I have thousands of preloaded rounds. This is prairie dog and coyote territory. Dealers always had high sales of reloading powders around here, and past sales tend to dictate what they now receive. If you live in an area where sales have recently vastly increased, the dealer allotment will still be the same as in the past and it will stay in very short supply for a long time in your area.

Ramshot powders are in really short supply here, and it's the "Montana powder"...... go figure.

Hodgdon and IMR are the most available rifle powders around here, and bullets and primers are in reasonable supply, considering what most areas of the country are experiencing. Pistol stuff is what stays sold out.

You can ALWAYS get powder form those who stashed it away ahead of time and you meet their price as to what it is worth to them. RUN AN AD IN THE PAPER and see what turns up. One guy around here is selling bricks of cheap .22LR for $85. I'll let my Stinger bricks go for $125 each.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:33 AM
Silver Member

Thanks everyone. One thing I am going to do is put a notice up at my club. I bet I can find some powder that way.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:45 AM
Bronze Member

I have had some luck recently with Third Generation for Hodgdon powders, but it has been sporadic. Varget, H1000, H4831 and a few others have been available. But it sells very quickly. They do offer a flat rate on shipping, $7.95 IIRC and a $27.50 Hazmat fee on the entire order, not per pound.

You can also keep an eye on GunBot find 223 5.56 AR-15 ammo in stock. They offer near real-time availability of ammo and reloading supplies, including powder. The reloading section is new and new vendors are being added daily. Good luck
Old 08-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Gold Member

If you have a Sportsman's Warehouse in your area, give them a call on Friday mornings (in some areas it is sat morning). They will usually tell you what has come in. If they have what you want, then you need to hustle over right then and get it. They limit the amount that you can buy and it all goes within a few hours. I picked up an 8 lb. jug of Retumbo from them about six weeks ago.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:32 AM
Silver Member

How about southeastern Virginia / northeastern North Carolina area?

DocB

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas