Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

gun juice what is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Silver Member

Re: gun juice what is it?

Bump one more time to try and get some info before I try it.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

I know Kirby has used it for barrel break-in, so unless he's changed his mind, this is a pretty good endorsement.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

.338 Lapua ackley

Page 6-8

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

anything between the 338 Edge and the 338 AM?

long ranger ('smith in Canada) and Fifty talk a bit about the 338 LAI and the topic spills over into Gun Juice with a picture or two. Interesting...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 02-01-2009, 03:27 AM
Silver Member

I have 3 new LRT rifles and 2 new hunters that need to be broken in.

It would be great to have another opinion on this stuff!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

I hear you. That's why I kept track of a couple of these threads and posted the links. It's an interesting discussion. The link to the test that magazine did was interesting as well.

long ranger (Alberta Tactical Rifle) has had very good luck with it apparently with it over the years.

I think Kirby may have tested it a bit and I'd be very curious for his input at this point.

Come to find out that the factory (or one of the regional factories is in my back yard--very small operation here in Bellingham) is right in my backyard. I went and picked up 4oz. Gun Juice and they gave me some Precision Oiler for free and then I went through the process on the instructions (slather it in the barrel and other areas and use a hairdryer to get the area hot while working it into the metal. Then fire a shell, patch it with Gun Juice fire, etc. 20x for a SS barrel as my pistols are. I have no idea if it helped with the pistols. The metal thats been treated definitely feels more slick. Who knows.

I also worked it into the barrel of my 300RUM and will test that over the chrono when I get a chance. I'm sending in my scope to Leupold for them to check over, so it'll be a few weeks before I do the patch, fire 20x routine with that. I'm planning on firing each shot over the chrono and see what it says. This rifle has about 1000 rnds through it and seems to be starting to lose its accuracy, so it might be a good test rifle for this. We'll see.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Gun Juice - Recently treated 4 rifle barrels

I applied Gun Juice to four different rifle barrels over the past two weeks. The one thing I will say for certain is that it reduces copper fouling. The stuff is definitely laying something down in the bore as the copper fouling is pretty much eliminated in the bores that had very little copper fouling after traditional break-in, and in the two rifle barrels with moderate copper fouling after break-in (before application of Gun Juice), the copper fouling is more than ~ 80% reduced after application of Gun Juice.

Two of these barrels I've fired over chronographs for at least one year, so I have a good record or prior MV. Two I haven't. I'll be shooting over the chronographs again sometime over the next 4-5 weeks, and it will be interesting to compare MVs with Gun Juice versus the former MVs without Gun Juice.

I believe the Gun Juice solution consists of very fine resin particles in a petroleum-based carrier fluid. When the rifle is fired, the heat and pressure generated in the bore melts the resin onto the surface of the bore. The bullet running snugly down the bore ensures the material is laid down on the bore surface more or less uniformly. Anyhow, I'm convinced it lays some type of coating down on the bore surface. These bores clean up much faster than they did prior to application of Gun Juice.

Whether the product also improves throat life or increases muzzle velocity, I wouldn't attempt to say at this point in time.