Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Guesses on muzzle velocity, 300 RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Gold Member

Re: Guesses on muzzle velocity, 300 RUM

I think those two items would be a great setup.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:21 PM

Crop Damage, I am betting you are indeed very close to 3100 fps with that load.

Exbal is good but you should also take a look at Loadbase by Patagonia Ballistics.

Ballistics Software from Patagonia Ballistics.

Especially if you are getting into reloading, Loadbase has the most comprehensive ballistics that I have found and allows you to save all of your load development and targets. It also has a reloading library in it, I found your load in there at 87.5 rather than 88.0 and it shows 3100 fps. The library is not designed to replace your reloading manuals but it is a handy feature when you are doing some winter day comparisons because it has a HUGE database.

Like everyone has already said, nothing takes the place of actual field testing, I have a 308 Norma with a Leupold scope, that would not match the drop data produced by Exbal, I chronographed the load kept track of environmental conditions and tried to use the trajectory validation tool in Exbal. It adjusted by changing my velocity, making it 200+ fps faster than the load actually is in order to make it match my drops (no fault of Exbal). Turns out my scope is not adjusting exactly 1/4 minute increments as it should.

Loadbase has a turret function so that you can input your actual turret increment. My turrets are supposed to be 0.250 (1/4 minute) but are actually 0.290. Now my drop charts match my scope adjustments at the correct bullet speed rather than some fictitious speed.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Bronze Member

Loadbase looks impressive too. I'm not sure if I can justify to my wife the extra cost vs exbal now, but that might be worth trying in the future. I do like that you can get load data from other sources besides just bullet manufacturers using Loadbase. Either one of these programs will make me the highest tech redneck in the area. The fanciest trick I could pull would be to whip out a hand held device with a ballistics program on it, I'd be a legend for a month or so. Thank you for the info.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:41 PM

"...highest tech redneck in the area"

Lol I know what you mean!!

The price is actually about the same as Exbal if you want the Mobile and Desktop version of Exbal, with Loadbase you must by both.

I too took a step back at the price, but now that I bit the bullet so to speak and bought it, I could not be happier and customer support is second to none.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Gold Member

TyIdaho, that's an interesting point you bring up with exbal and your Leupold scope. I really like the exbal program and am using it for two guns. One is a 308 topped with a Sightron SIII and is dead nuts. I've never had to validate with it, it's always been right on the money. My 300 WM has a VX-III on it and I have had to validate it with every load I have used. It changes the velocity to a much lower number and I could never figure that out being the same chrono. I am glad you brought this up, I will have to do some testing with this scope.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:59 PM

Moman, I tested my drops at 300, 610, 756 and 950 yards (hard to find places to shoot distance where I live, that's why the odd ball numbers). I was very perplexed to find that my load was hitting high at all distances compared to the calculated drops. (This is a Leupold 4-12 with target turrets installed by Leupold just 8 months ago).

I then clamped my rifle in a gun vise in my shop pointed it out the door and set up a target that I made with a 1" grid on an 8.5x11 sheet at 50 yards, adjusted out the parallax, then carefully ran the scope from the bottom to the top and counted the number of clicks per 8 inches, did the math and it matched what I came up with in Loadbase!. Walla, 0.290 increments instead of 0.250, it tracks consistently but not the advertised amount.

Exbal was able to match the drops pretty well with the exception of the 950, (the unrealistic speed was starting to show) just by adding velocity, so much velocity I knew it could not be correct plus it did not agree with my chrono. But now with Loadbase I matched the drops by adjusting the turret increments, and I now longer care that the scope is not adjusting exactly 1/4 minute.

I'll bet this problem is more common than we know.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

Definately sounds similiar to what I have gone through with the exception that all of my hits are low. Maybe our scopes are considered 1/4 MOA clicks, give or take a little. LOL. When I get a chance, I'll try your test and see what I come up with. Thanks.