Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

good PRECISION reloading book?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: good PRECISION reloading book?

Bart,
Can you take the expander ball out of a conventional sizing die and still be able to seat bullets without shaving jacket, or does this need to be a special die (I use only Redding and RCBS)? How about chamfering the case mouth. Is this neccessary? Thanks, Sam

NRA Life Member
Old 01-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Gold Member

Bart B,

Thanks for your reply. In a way, you made my point for me. From your perspective (and I have no reason to doubt you are correct) the bullet seating "trick" I mentioned is of little or no use. However, not using an expander ball is also a new "trick" I have just recently learned from another post as well. Obviously I can't tell a usefull "trick" from one that is not [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

That is why an authoritative well researched book on precision reloading would be helpfull. A following post asked about bullet shaving problems if an expander ball is not used, I would also think that pressures could rise from a bullet seated with much greater neck tension, etc. I'm not knocking not using an expander ball, just using that as an example of how a well written book would deal with the entire issue, by anticipating and answering those and other potential questions. The next time I load, I will remove the expander ball and see what happens, so in this case I will learn the answer to the rest of the questions by experimenting. Although it is nice to just be told all the answers, I usually remember the ones I had to figure out for myself best [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2006, 06:27 AM
Silver Member

I have tried removing the expander ball from a Lee FLS die and found I couldn't seat bullets without ruining the case neck . This was a Hornet so thin brass .
My suggestion would be to use a Redding body die for cases that require the shoulder bumped . It has no facility to resize the neck or remove the spent primer . For neck sizing try a cheap but effective Lee collet neck sizing die which uses a mandrel and not an expander ball . Most who have tried them like them for precision loads .
Old 01-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Gold Member

Read Bart's comments in this thread...

Lapping info

Basically, if you remove the expander ball and then lap the neck channel of the sizing die to the correct size, all should be well with the seating. I haven't tried this yet, but Bart has inspired me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dan
Old 01-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
My suggestion would be to use a Redding body die for cases that require the shoulder bumped . It has no facility to resize the neck or remove the spent primer . For neck sizing try a cheap but effective Lee collet neck sizing die which uses a mandrel and not an expander ball . Most who have tried them like them for precision loads .

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, what he said!

The "seating in bites" tip isn't to deal with necks with runout at all, but bullet ogives that enter the seating plug with runout [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
The lee FL die, as you notticed brings the neck to waaaay under dimension, something like .020" for most calibers, but there are some dies on the market that allow use without the expander, ive got some redding, and forester that do... but they are more expensive than the lee colet die, and a redding body die... and they are still dependant on case neck thickness for a specific neck tension.