Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Glock 21 reload question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Glock 21 reload question

I have hand loaded for my Glock 21 quite a bit with no issues using Unique powder. Used it a lot in competition plate shoots. Other aspects of the Glock to be aware of is first, the firing pin spring should be replaced ith a heavy duty one as it will eventually wear out and misfire. Install a light trigger pull disconnect fot a better trigger pull. Lastly, a Bar Sto drop in barrel if you want to shoot lead cast bullets. The polygonal barrel is only good for jacketed bullets. Add high capacity mags and it's a fast, reliable, and accurate shooter using reloads, cast or jacketed.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 12-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

I should check out the LEE crimp die, is it preset so you can not over crimp? If you crimp on your own , do go ever so gentle . The LEE crimp must be the way to go, for I have dismall luck. I have never heared anyone address crimping auto pistol bullets - how little /too much. Very confused and nervious on that subject.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the feedback, Kevin I repliied to your comments on the Hide"
Dont get me wrong, I think this gun shoots great, Iwas just curious about how the powder would perform as this is my first experience with reloading pistols.

Any thoughts on crimping ? best to do in two steps or just do it the rcbs way crimp and seat in one step ?

Thanks again Scott
Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

I would strongly recommend using a separate taper crimp dye for best results. I would also recommend getting a cartridge gauge. It's a dye that a finished bullet can be placed into to determine that the finished cartridge is sized and crimped to exact dimension. If it doesn't fit flush in the dye, it likely won't feed in your auto pistol. Don't need to check every round but it's very useful for checking different loads and components.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Scott,

as Greyfox has already suggested, use a separate taper crimp die and do this as a secondary operation. Nothing is helped by trying to squeeze dhe crimp into place while you're still trying to push the bullet down into the case, trust me. Always, always, always do this as a final step AFTER the bullet has been seated to its finished depth/OAL.

He's spot on about the case gages, too. They're available from Dillon (among others) and can be found on page 16 of their current catalog. At about $15, they're the best investment you cna make in assuring that your reloads will chamber freely, and go a long way towards eliminating stoppages. Very worthwhile, and wouldn't even consider loading without using them.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the feedback so far, Had a question on brass length, I have some that is measuring .890-.894 out of the bag winchester, some brass from store bought ammo PMC, and some other Winchester measuring .886 to .885, thought the average is close to .890 or so.
Should I be concerned that this new brass is somewhat short and inconsistent, considering the max listed length is .898 ? since this brass will probably shorten with more reloads ? I didnt think I should be trimming brass thats already short ?

I am going to go with the Lee factory Taper crimp dies and some gauges as was suggested Thanks in advance, Scott
Old 12-14-2012, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Scott View Post
Thanks for all the feedback so far, Had a question on brass length, I have some that is measuring .890-.894 out of the bag winchester, some brass from store bought ammo PMC, and some other Winchester measuring .886 to .885, thought the average is close to .890 or so.
Should I be concerned that this new brass is somewhat short and inconsistent, considering the max listed length is .898 ? since this brass will probably shorten with more reloads ? I didnt think I should be trimming brass thats already short ?

I am going to go with the Lee factory Taper crimp dies and some gauges as was suggested Thanks in advance, Scott
Not sn issue if you are using a taper crimp.