Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Getting weird flyers with Berger 300gr OTMs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

Re: Getting weird flyers with Berger 300gr OTMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
JFSeaman: I am weight sorting bullets and brass, brass is new Lapua trimmed and neck sized, federal 215M primers. I do not neck turn. The main point of my question is that the Lapua Scenars (same brass, charge, powder, etc) had no flyers whatsoever. Switched to testing the OTMs and it was like I flipped a switch -BUT- the fact that the groups are two-thirds tight has me questioning myself.
Distance to the lands is all I can think of. I did some work with that for my A-Max 208s but have little advice.

You could try 210Ms.

Neck turning and annealing are, well, tedious but worth it.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
What scope and what rail?

This does not look like a bullet issue, at this point I am guessing rifle problem, scope or mount and shooter.

Jeff
NXS 5.5-22x56 in TPS rings. The rail is a 20MOA steel (not sure make, maybe custom) on an Eliseo Tactical chassis. Pinned and bolted. I cleaned and thread locked all screws, but I will re-check them all today. I'm starting to think the only loose screw may be contained in the shooter.

If I get a chance this week, I'll load up some Scenars (proven to shoot) and some more Bergers and I'll shoot back-to-back groups.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
, maybe you were fatigued?
I have two boys under 5 and a job that is 75% travel. I am always fatigued! Probably couldn't hit a barn well-rested.

You all have me leaning toward shooter error, so now I am in a no-win:

If I re-test and they shoot poorly, I am either unfixable or can't use these great bullets

If I re-test and they shoot great, I've proven that I suck.

So much for this thread!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

Everyone has bad days shooting. Even the greatest benchrest shooters will tell you that they have off days. Test them out again and see how it goes. Kinda of crazy that it would pretty much one hole them and then throw one in another group. Take a chrono with you next time and see what changes with velocity when it throws one. Try to eliminate as many variables as possible. If everything comes back to you being the problem on those shots then try to figure out what you are doing wrong and fix that. That is why shooting is so interesting, there is always something that can be tweeked, fixed or adjusted to make your shoot more accurately.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
If I get a chance this week, I'll load up some Scenars (proven to shoot) and some more Bergers and I'll shoot back-to-back groups.
A word of caution about shooting bullets with different alloy jackets back to back, it could cause some severe fouling. Also if this has been done I would stop now and do a complete cleaning with Boretech Eliminator.

Jeff
Old 06-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
A word of caution about shooting bullets with different alloy jackets back to back, it could cause some severe fouling. Also if this has been done I would stop now and do a complete cleaning with Boretech Eliminator.
Thanks, I had never heard this before. I was cleaning between strings last time out, but probably would not have in this case ... Now I will.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

If your cleaning in between, you should have a fouler shot before your group or at least keep track of it.