Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Getting weird flyers with Berger 300gr OTMs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Getting weird flyers with Berger 300gr OTMs

This is an abridged version of my issue taken from a review I posted in the R,B,B,B forum earlier. Short story:

Got a new 338LM. Shot 6 groups (3 rd, 100yd) using 300gr Scenars doing a ladder test for OAL. Results were very good, and only one of the groups had what I considered to be a flyer (1" from his friends). Overall average <0.5". Shoots great.

I switched to Berger 300gr OTMs, same test. The mag length loads were a horrible catastrophe and I won't count them here. The 4 groups I shot (two 40thou off and two touching the lands) were maddeningly inconsistent. Worth noting that the flyers showed up randomly (either of the 3 shots, one low, one high/right, one left)

Two groups had 2 shots touching and then a major flyer (1.5 to 2.5")

One group had two shots within 0.5" and a major flyer

The final group was one hole. Not even ragged. Damn near perfect.

So: did I get sloppy and basically suck it up to where I started mixing flyers in to every group, or is it possible for these pills to shoot almost perfect and randomly fly way off course?

Let me know your experience, and feel free to blame the operator.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Getting weird flyers with Berger 300gr OTMs

May I suggest you try a group with them at 200?

They have shot great in every 338 I loaded them in. But sometimes shoot the same size group at 200 or even tighter.

Jeff
Old 06-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Gold Member

weight sorted bullets?
weight sorted brass?
annealed necks?
turned necks?
neck sized?
tip (meplat) trimmed bullets?
pointed bullets?
regular match primers?

With my 300WSM, 260 and 223 I had already been weight sorting, the biggest thing that helped was regular match primers and neck turning. Annealing helped too but my first 200 yard cloverleaf was after switching to regular match primers and neck turning.

BTW: 338 is in the build phase.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Broz: thanks for the response. I will definitely load up some more and move back. The groups are just so non-uniform. 3 of the 4 looked like the group at the top. Looking at just the one I would think shooter error - but 3 out of 4 with one big flyer (in different directions) is suspect. Stranger things have happened.

JFSeaman: I am weight sorting bullets and brass, brass is new Lapua trimmed and neck sized, federal 215M primers. I do not neck turn. The main point of my question is that the Lapua Scenars (same brass, charge, powder, etc) had no flyers whatsoever. Switched to testing the OTMs and it was like I flipped a switch -BUT- the fact that the groups are two-thirds tight has me questioning myself.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Getting weird flyers with Berger 300gr OTMs-image.jpg  
Old 06-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

What scope and what rail?

This does not look like a bullet issue, at this point I am guessing rifle problem, scope or mount and shooter.

Jeff
Old 06-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Scope mounts tight? I would give them another test to confirm, maybe you were fatigued?

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 06-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

I have fought the Bergers in other rifles. My 257 weatherby would shoot 4-6 '' at 100 and a Barnes tsx would bug hole same load. But I got the otms to shoot in my 338 Norma. I guy I now that shoot in 1000 bench shot crazy tight groups with Scenars 250 Gr, in a Trg and could never get the Bergers to touch them. He spent alot of time and has posted 100 score targets at 1000 bench.I doubt your scope when onegroups and another doesnt