Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Getting Started in Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Getting Started in Reloading

Recent experience with Lee leads me to believe that they take care of any problems without even asking when /how old questions . The warranty is lifetime, the guarantee to not break or wear out is 2 year.However it seems that they "overlook " conditions and just take care of any problems.
As far as accuracy , look up the 1000 yd record breaker on july 25, 1993, Robert Frey and see what he used to load his record breaking rounds ( I,ll give you a hint , Lee collet dies [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img])

I have Rcbs dies, been using them from the beginning (30 yrs. ago )I also have Redding competition neck bushing dies and comp seater dies. I like the Redding seater die above the others. I also have LEE collet dies , they are great annnd inexpensive! As I have said in the past there are many at LRH that use and attest to the Lee collet dies low runout / accuracy potential. All of them are far more knowledgeable and experienced than me, I am glad that I listened to their advice .

Finally , let me say that I make this post not to start a fire , but to simply share my experience / observations As someone earlier on this thread said it is the person doing the loading that is going to be a larger part of the equation.
Jim B.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Suggest that if you intend to load a lot of ammo to consider a progressive. I want good ammo but lots of it and not too much fussing around to get it. Went to the progressive and never looked back. Hard to beat a Dillon 550B (except for a 650...), a Hornady LockNLoad or the mighty RCBS Pro-2000.

Just something to consider. Nice to be able to crank-off five boxes of ammo in an hour.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:20 PM

Gentlemen;

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that I shoot a .270Win Remington Sendero and while I do get good groups with factory ammo,i.e. in the 1/2" to 1/4" @ 100yds, I would like to a) reduce the cost of shooting and b) get even better groups.

Cheers,
Rubber Ducky

p.s. While I'm still a duck hunter at heart, I've been bitten hard by the long range hunting bug [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.
- General Douglas MacArthur
Old 09-06-2005, 02:22 AM
Gold Member

Carbide dies are really out of the picture for the 270. Now you must decide between neck sizing and/or full length resizing. Just another consideration! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

You will find that it pays in the long run to buy quality reloading tools. Much cheaper as they last forever and quality is good.

I prefer either the Forester Bonanza BR die sets or the Reddings. Both have micrometer seaters but not necessary when starting.

Buy a good large size single press for now. Rockchucker or similar. buy a good used balance beam scale RCBS 10-10 for $30 on Ebay and retails for $100. You will find with set of $10 Lee dippers can run as fast as you need.

the Lee Auto prime works well for priming. $15

Buy a good SS caliper

Need a neck trimmer. Forester or Wilson are best.

Get catalogs from Sinclair intl. www.sinclairint.com and RW Hart 800-368-3656 and Holland Shooters supply www.hollandguns.com
Look at good primer pocket tools etc from eithe of them.

BH
Old 09-07-2005, 02:23 AM
Silver Member

Thanks alot guys, this thread has helped me out alot [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] .
Unless the law changes and alowes me to buy a semi-auto i'll stay with a single stage O-frame press from LEE, which is only $79 comepared to nearly $300 for a Hornady or RCBS equivalant [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] .