Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Getting Started in Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2005, 04:46 PM

Getting Started in Reloading

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me the difference between the various die manufacturers? Is it worthwhile to get carbide dies or should I just get ordinary dies to start with? Is there a difference between Lee, RCBS, Redding or Lyman. I would like to get started with good quality tools, certainly not the cheapest stuff but not the Cadillac version either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Rubber Ducky

Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.
- General Douglas MacArthur
Old 09-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: Getting Started in Reloading

Let your budget control your quality, many dies are capable of accurate ammo the human factor is the most important component of all....
Old 09-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

I'm also about to buy my own reloading gear and was wondering a couple of things, like....

I'm looking at buying RCBS dies but i was wondering if i should just buy std GroupA dies or the compatition/Gold medal dies? the comp ones are alot more money, But are they worth it?

Also, aside from scales, dies, press, priming tool debur/chamfer tool what do i need to make long range rounds? is neck turning really necessary outside of compatition?

Thanks guys [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] .
Old 09-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Gold Member

Competition dies are really worth the cost. Lee makes a collet die that could save you money if you must. Presses are not as critical. Technique is important. Also, the quality of your brass, your particular rifle chamber, etc. can determine how much prep is necessay to turn out quality ammo. Everything needs to be aligned to be accurate, which is way you read about bullet runout, etc. The better aligned your bullet and case necks are after loading, the better chance of having an accurate round. Of course, this is always assuming that your rifle is capable of accuracy to begin with. Nothing can help a bad bedding job, bad barrel, poor technique, etc. Good luck! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

First of all, carbide die(s) are used for straight wall pistol brass, and it is a convienience item, since you do not need to lube the cases, which can be messy. Otherwise, there is no advantage, but anyone that loads a lot of 9mm or 45ACP will usually pay the price and consider it worth it.

So called (screw in) competition dies? I fail to see the need. If you want precision, get hand dies and an arbor press.

Good hunting. LB
Old 09-05-2005, 04:05 AM
Gold Member

There are two schools here, those that use Lee Equipment and those that dont.
I dont want to re-open the one is better then the other debate or shall i say which loads the best ammo, there are exceptions in both cases, but stay away from LEE dies they are poorly made and of poor quality being manufactured to a price. Speaking now as a master machinist, the use of steel and aluminum components together makes me cringe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

RCBS re-loading equipment is good and this is what i would buy if i was starting up hand-loading, the Competition series will load you top notch ammo. I use Redding Competition Dies with interchangable Neck sizing bushings but i think you should start your handloading with fixed neck-size dies, unless of course you feel confident enough to jump in at the deep end and go for neck bushing dies right from the start. You will of course save money in the long run taking this route.

Dies and equipment by Hornady and Forster, to name but two, are all good but again, do yourself a favour and leave LEE dies and equipment on the shelf, this is of course just my opinion. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 09-05-2005, 06:50 AM

Look at the Warranty Lee is only 2 years others are lifetime
RCBS will rebuild your press or give you a new one No experiance with others and RCBS customer service is great.same with all there products even if you broke or lost them (within reason)can't easlly lose a press,Dies I have Redding,Hornady,(RCBS most)all have lifetime warranty.
Buy the best you can afford take a look on E-bay compare prices