Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Getting started need advice!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Getting started need advice!!!

Just got all of my basic reloading stuff and I am starting off on 5.56 for my AR, with the intention of moving to 300 mag in the near future, once I get the hang of loading 5.56. The 5.56 are just fun rounds for the AR. What I have so far is,

RCBS press
RCBS elct scale (the smaller one)
RCBS hand primer
Uniflo Powder Measure with micro meter
Lube pad
Various brushes

Now the question is, the different types of head space gagues, calipers, and other tools confuses me when people say "you need this, or don't get that" for precision reloading. My goal is to load the best round I can for my 300, and leave the rest up to me, and the rifle. I want to be able to take shoot well out to about 600 yards for hunting. So what more do I need, and where do I get it. Would rather pay alittle more up front so that I don't need to up grade latter. I know this is a drawn out question, but I appreciate your time. Thanks

Garett
Old 03-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Gold Member

Re: Getting started need advice!!!

This isn't a simple question!
It really depends on how far you want to go!

Headspace gauges won't necessarily improve accuracy, but a bullet comparator will!
Calipers and a micrometer are indispensable tools for making accurate ammunition, as are concentricity gauges and a good balance beam scale, I would recommend you get one, electronic scales can and do go out of whack regularly.

A good set of bushing style dies will go a long way for extreme accuracy, normal dies just don't cut the mustard, IMHO!

The other most important factor is bullet choice!
Get it all right with the best bullet and you can't really go wrong, even with the 'wrong' handloading components!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearrow View Post
Just got all of my basic reloading stuff and I am starting off on 5.56 for my AR, with the intention of moving to 300 mag in the near future, once I get the hang of loading 5.56. The 5.56 are just fun rounds for the AR. What I have so far is,

RCBS press
RCBS elct scale (the smaller one)
RCBS hand primer
Uniflo Powder Measure with micro meter
Lube pad
Various brushes

Now the question is, the different types of head space gagues, calipers, and other tools confuses me when people say "you need this, or don't get that" for precision reloading. My goal is to load the best round I can for my 300, and leave the rest up to me, and the rifle. I want to be able to take shoot well out to about 600 yards for hunting. So what more do I need, and where do I get it. Would rather pay alittle more up front so that I don't need to up grade latter. I know this is a drawn out question, but I appreciate your time. Thanks

Garett
You didn't mention what dies you have. I use the Redding type S neck sizers sometimes and the redding and forster full length sizers as well as the redding competition seater. The competition seater is about $90, but it is well worth it , especially if you will be loading more than one type of bullet. You will eventually need a case trimmer, chamfer and deburring tool. You do need a caliper, micrometer is optional, so are the gauges you refer to. Thats all you need to reload, however you will find once you start down this long road there is no stopping! You will constantly find things that you need to add to your collection. So, to finally answer your question, I would get the basic things you need to start loading, then as you gain experience you will have a better idea of the tools that will best fit your individual needs.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Gold Member

your electronic scale is good to keep, you will find it useful while sorting bullets and brass, but workin with powder will prove it obosolete
Old 03-26-2010, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

case trimmer. dies, components, primer pocket brush, champher/de-burring tool (vld?) a loading manuel helps alot. and so does a funnel. good luck

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Silver Member

Along with what the others have said a powder trickler is handy.

Mike