Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Getting set up.....opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 08:42 AM

Getting set up.....opinions?

Hi all.....

Since I got started in longrange benchrest shooting, a friend of mine has been loading my ammo for me. Reloading is something I have wanted to get into for many years, but always put it off. Well, I figured now would be a good time to start.....so I can load my benchrest ammo myself.

I originally planned on getting the Master Supreme kit from RCBS, but I didn't like the fact that the first thing I would be doing was adding electronic scales, etc. Then, I saw that Cabelas had another RCBS kit that includes the electronic scales, Chargemaster 1500, the Trim Pro kit, Universal Hand Priming tool, the Rockchucker press, and a few other things. They are selling this kit for $700. I had planned on getting this kit until yesterday......

I read on here that many said you are better off buying components individually. If I do this, I am thinking about the Forster Co-axial press.....probably still the Chargemaster 1500 combo, some sort of trimmer...etc.

Which route should I take? Also, do I need a priming tool with the Forster Press?

Oh....I'll mainly be loading: 6x47 Lapua, 30-378 WBY, 300 WBY, 257 WBY, 243 Win, and maybe 22-250 (assuming I get one).

Please let me know what I should do...

Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Getting set up.....opinions?

If I had to start again with no equipment, here is what I would get (it's close to what I've ended up with after 35 years of reloading).

Redding UltraMag press.
ultramag.html
Forster Case trimmer + (collet and mandrel kit)
Original Case Trimmer Kit w/ Pilots & Collets - Forster Products
RCBS Chargemaster
Lee Auto Prime (hand prime) + holder kit
Lee Precision, Inc. Reloading Tools and Equipment: Priming Tools and Shellholders
Digital calipers (with auto off so batteries will last)
Hornady LNL headspace gage kit
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...0ac87ed0c3ee5b
Hornady Bullet comparator kit
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...ac1a8d6e16635b
Sinclair VLD debur tool
- Sinclair VLD Chamfering Tool
Sinclair primer pocket uniformer
Primer Pocket Tools
Sinclair flash hole deburring tool
Flash Hole Deburring Tools - Gen II FlashHole Tool w/ Handle
Forster case chamfer tool (to debur the outside of neck after trimming)
Deburring Tools

You'd need to add shell holders and dies.

That would be the kit I would put together.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Don't get anything without a plan.. You intend to reload for competition, right?
A very good place to start:
Pick up & read 'Handloading for Competition', then go from there knowing what you're doing.
Google Superior Shooting Systems - David Tubb

Last edited by Mikecr; 07-22-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

I missed that you said Benchrest, I think those guys do a bunch of 'different' things, including fairy dust and hand dies. I second the recommendation of getting the Zediker book about reloading for competition.

I'd post on the BR sites and see what the bench resters do.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 PM

The guy that has been loading for me is using a Forster or Redding press.......but can't remember which one. Another buddy of ours uses a RCBS RC. I think I'll probably be ok no matter which way I go. I win my first 1000 match last weekend.....and my buddy that loads my shells isn't "crazy" particular like some of the BR guys!! Lol!!

With that being said.....is the Redding a lot better press than the Forster.....or should I maybe just start with RCBS?

Thanks!!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't used the Redding (I have a couple RCBS presses), but I reload some long rounds (338 Edge and 338 Allen Mag), so like the size of the Redding Ultramag and have heard good reports to it's strength and straightness. I seem to remember that someone had clearance problems with one of the Coax style presses when they used a Micrometer seating die (real long) for one of the large cartridges. The Coax handle goes over the top of the die. I can't remember if it was the current Coax press or a previous similar press.

AJ

Old 07-22-2009, 01:07 PM

I'm on Forster's website now. They say it has 1 1/2" more clearance than the previous model. I'm kinda liking the looks/sounds of this press.