Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

getting my 3 fire formed cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 04:00 PM

Re: getting my 3 fire formed cases

Bambi you do sound like a prk. I am not as green as I may be making my self sound. To everyone else. He wants 3 cases that have been fired 3 times each. Right now I have nothing to neck size the cases with after they have been fired . After first fire the brass will have expanded enough to not fit in a standard 338 lapua die to just neck size it. There is where I am askin if just reaming a stock die out will get me on my way. I am not stupid I am just not too big of an ego prick to ask questions . Someone may have a great idea . Thanks for the help all. Plott Hound
Old 08-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Gold Member

If you have a standard HSS reamer you won't be able to cut a factory LM die since they are hardened. If you have a carbide reamer you could probably do it but certainly not good for the reamer. If you don't mind sacrificing a standard sizing die.... have someone with a lathe and a carbide boring bar cut clearance around the body and shoulder with the neck to the only part making contact. It's hard to answer without knowing exactly what the chamber specs are. Did you buy the chamber reamer? If so you might be further ahead to just order the sizing die from the same company, send both to the die guy and get a sizer and seater made.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

If I knew your chamber dimensions, I might have an idea.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

I've found myself in a similar situation, all the generic neck sizing dies that I've found that might work make a large price jump when going to that size case so I'm just going to make a neck die out of some scrap metal that will take a Redding bushing. Any machine shop should be able to kick you out something for a reasonable price that would do the same.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Knowing that you needed it fired 3 times helps. Now, what is the cartridge?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

just how much of a difference will the case come out.if we are talking about an ackley you should be ok with just one good hot 338L load to fire form with.then you shouldn't need to fire the other two times.again the 300 H&H case is alot or a long ways off from a 300ackley imp.take a look if needed.trust me one good hot load from your past loads if so should work for you.

or again fill the case with the right pistol powder( charge ) and keep forming it that way if you really need to fire it three times to make sure.the 1st fireing on the cases shouldn't keep you from fieing them again.I would think they would still chamber.but hey I must be missing something who knows.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Silver Member

I had this same issue when I had Neil Jones build my dies for my 338 LAI. Yes, reaming out your die will work but you my need to ream the seater die out too. I do not know what dies you have?

I did it the easy way . I made a tool for shell holder and put a redding bushing in a collet. I used a Bridgeport vertical mill to neck size the case. I used this same setup to seat the bullets. I simply took the seater out of my die and put it in a collet and seated them all.

Either way you will need a machine shop to get you rolling, unless you have access to one or have your own.