Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

getting my 3 fire formed cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 09:31 AM

getting my 3 fire formed cases

I had a gun chambered in a wildcat and would like to have Neil build me some dies. My question is ..... can I just go buy off the shelf rcbs dies and have my smith open them both up with the chamber reamer so I can just neck size and get a few bullets seated to build him his 3 fire formed cases he is asking for ?
Old 08-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

Re: getting my 3 fire formed cases

you cannot build a fire formed case.it needs to be fire formed by fireing it in the chamber.

or are you just wanting to be able to set a bullet on some charged brass to fire form.

and what wildcat are you talking about?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:48 PM

Yes I understand that. I just need to get the brass neck sized and a bullet seated so I can fire them. What is the fastest easyest way to be able to get that done ? I was planning on the cream of wheat for first blast.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

if you are useing good brass say Lapua heck any kind will work as long as its in great shape.

my point is this.if the case of choice is really clean in shape no dents to work out in the neck shoulder it shoudn't need to be sized at all.thats if the chamber size is just over the cases specs.you should be able to load with an off the shelf load useing a seating die from another cal of the same cal.( size wise )even would go as to almost a hot if not a hot load for the case its self and jamming the bullet into the lands.

this worked great for me when I owned a 300 Ackley useing 300 H&H brass.all I did was fill the 300 H&H up with powder to the bottom of the neck and seated a bullet long into the lands.fired them at the range and they blowed out to the Ackley chamber.and on the first fireing fully formed.

you must be doing your own wildcat.you have yet said what it is.if it was you wouldn't need to make a die.or you just want a die cut anyway.

yeah one other way but cannot say how much powder to use you haven't said what wildcat you are going with.but put the right amount powder into the case then top it off with toilet papper then fire it straite up into the air.( keeping the powder down in the bottom of the case )no need to put cream of anything through a bore of a barrel.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Silver Member

Not trying to be a prk, but if you have to ask, are you sure you are ready for a wildcat?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntbambi View Post
Not trying to be a prk, but if you have to ask, are you sure you are ready for a wildcat?
It doesnt really matter considering he already has it. I believe your easiest option is to contact Hornady with your reamer specs and they will make you a set of dies in the proper dimensions.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

New brass should fit in your chamber fine. Load seated long & fireform away.