Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

Re: Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

Once I find the right powder and the right sweet spot I do not change powder.
I am a big believer in "don't fix it till it's broke".
Find the right load/bullet/COAL and just practice practice practice.
Just my .02.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

My experience has been that seating depth is independent of powder choice, but I may have not done enough in this area for this to be conclusive.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 04-22-2012, 05:38 AM
Silver Member

Has anyone tried more than .010 in to lands ?
Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

this has been an awakening! i have shot my first cloverleaf ever doing this. i will now start different powder charges and different powders, but i am expecting great results now that i have found the rifles sweet spot. my specs so far, 7mm rem mag-168gr. berger vld-58 gr. h4831sc-3.350 col.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
would this "sweet spot" change when changing powders? or will it always be at that length? this should carry over to all bullets right?
The cause of seating depth affects is as big of a mystery to me as anything in reloading.
The affects are huge though, I know that.

Like Greyfox, I have not seen powder influence a sweet spot in seating. That is, neither powder type, nor amount. But changing bullets definitely changes things.
Sometimes you remain near the sweet spot with a bullet change, but this is more coincidence than basis for expecting it.

It is mind boggling to me that so many reloaders assume jam, or any other setting is best, and don't even bother to find otherwise..
Old 07-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Bronze Member

This might seem like a dumb question. But do you start by working your powder up first to the 2nd node then play with the seating depth. Or find the sweet spot 1st then find you best node. It seems like your pressures would be too high if you work your powder up first. Im not sure where to start.thanks
Old 07-27-2012, 02:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper1991 View Post
This might seem like a dumb question. But do you start by working your powder up first to the 2nd node then play with the seating depth. Or find the sweet spot 1st then find you best node. It seems like your pressures would be too high if you work your powder up first. Im not sure where to start.thanks
I am sure that there are difference approaches but, given my group size is looking promising, I will look at the effects of seating depth first, charge weight refinement next. I am usually more concerned about seating depth changes when using VLD's. For hunting loads, I don't like to seat into, or too near the lands, usually .010" or more out of the lands. I don't want a bullet sticking in the barrel when unloading, You are correct, pressure signs can show up when moving your seating depth too close or into the lands when working near max powder charges.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt