Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

One of the most insightful posts on reloading I have ever read. I have gotten good results seating 180 vlds .010 off the lans but after reading this article i bumped them back to .050 and shot one ragged hole.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

I load for .243, .270 and .308. I only load the hunting VLDs. I get consistent velocities and groups. Any time I need help from the guys at Berger they are quick to reply and are most helpful. I am just looking forward to their reloading manual to come out.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

This method for finding the sweet spot has proved to work. I was loading for a friend with his 26" barrelled 300 Win with 168 VLD's. His best accuracy was found at .090 jump which allowed a nice fit in his magazine. Accuracy was .5 moa in this stock rifle but velocity was only 3020fps at max load. I have loaded now for several rifles with 168, 185 and 210 VLD's and all were very accurate touching the rifling. Acceptable velocity was acheived with the loads touching the rifling as well. I was disappointed at the low velocity out of my friends rifle due to the seating depth, I believe that significant bullet performance was sacrificed in order to keep the shells fitting in the mag. My opinion and observation is that when the VLD's are seated deeper, they tend to slow down due to the absence of the pressure spike that occurs when the bullets starts out touching the rifling. If you've got the mag room or don't mind a single shot, just load them to the rifling and you'll most likely have your accuracy and velocity.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Bronze Member

I loaded 180 vlds touching the lans with several different powder charges and never really got a stellar groups. While I think seating a vld touching the lans is a good place to start I don't think it will always achieve the best results for every rifle. My groups were all sub 1/2 inch with .010,.025,.050 from the lans, but shot several 1-2 inch groups touching the lans.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

I have been loading the 168 Bergers for my 7mm for 4 years now. Using Win Brass, Fed 215's, and 71.0 gr of Retumbo. I have found seating them to a light kiss gives me .5-.75 consistent moa out of my stock Sako 75. Luckily my magazine leaves pleanty of room.

One lesson I learned is that when I change bullet lots I need to remeasure as one time I used the same seating depth from the previous lot and my velocity shot up almost 100fps and my accuracy dropped to 1.2-1.5moa with flattened primers and sticky bolt. The difference was only about .010 if I remember correctly, but this was now jammed into the lands.

I'm no expert reloader and I only had about a year of reloading when I started using bergers, but is it common to have to be this precise, even in non-custom rifle/barrel?

PS I love the way these shoot and they have resulted in 1 shot flops on 350-450 yards shots on big muley's and bull elk for 4 years.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:11 AM
Silver Member

I have noticed that the oal of my projectiles varies considerably. Is this normal with bergers or did I get a rough batch?
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle-img_20110902_182439.jpg  
Old 09-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Platinum Member

Eric's article was excellent, and very helpful in developing loads. I have two 6.5x284's, one a Savage LRH, the other a Cooper 52. Using Berger Hunting 140 VLD's, I have both shooting .25-..5 MOA, sometimes better if I get up out of the right side of the bed. From a lot reading, but mostly recommendations from the bench shooters at my club, I spent lot of time loading at , in, or close to the lands. My groups were ok, but not great, and I had overpressure signs with my loads as soon as I got close to 2950 FPS. Both rifles now shooting the previously mentioned groups at 2965 FPS, tight velocity spreads, and no signs of overpressure. Interestingly, both rifles produced best results .075" off the lands with the same components and powder charge....very convenient.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt