Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 06:06 AM
Silver Member

Re: Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Most people say Tika's shoot pretty well, but I've gotten only one group just barely under an inch thus far, and that was with Remington 130gr Coreloks. I've had a couple of other guys shoot it also with same results. I'd send it back to Tika for a checkup, but backlog is 8 weeks
garyK, Is this a new rifle and did it get a proper break-in? Virgin barrels can take some time before they settle in. If it did, I think you find that you will get better accuracy with a BTHP over the RN bullet. Just a better aerodynamicly designed bullet. If the Bergers don't give you what your looking for try the Barnes TTSX or MRX. Excellent hunting bullet! But don't give up on the Bergers.

Phorwoth,

Thanks! I guess I learned I need to change the way I do my work-ups for target loads. This run & gun approach I've been doing has worked for me to this point in a hunting application but this bullet seems it could be a bit fussy. I guess once you find the right combination like with any bullet, good thing's can result. Basically, I think this thread was designed to let us all know that if you work this bullet to the fullest you will find it to be very accurate.

So I will stuff it to the lands, find the best groups from both powders and work the seating from there. I am crossing my fingers! I like the design of the bullet and hope it gives me what I'm looking for.

Kstrick,

Ya, I had read that artical before posting here. It is on the Berger website. I wanted to see what you all had to say about what you found with the bullet and unbenouced to me there was this thread already going.

Thanks again

WRG

NRA life Member

US Army 79 - 85, 368th Combat Battalion, Sarget Spec-5, Combat Engineer

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Last edited by WRG; 06-10-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 PM

Re: Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

WRG asked:
Quote:
Is this a new rifle and did it get a proper break-in? Virgin barrels can take some time before they settle in.
There are about 90 rounds thru this gun at this time. We were pretty liberal with the cleaning with breakin..Shoot/clean every round for first 5 rounds, then shoot couple of rounds/clean for 3 sets, then every 4 rounds. Have been cleaning every 10-12 rounds now. And have been discounting the fouling shot after cleaning. Thanks for the encouragement about not expecting great thinks immediately. I have been thinking about Barnes also., so will try those next if need be.
thanks again. Gary
Old 06-16-2009, 04:57 AM

Berger's with Weatherby freebore.

Has anyone had success with Bergers in their Weatherby's given the excessive freebore? I'm loading for 300Wby & going to try starting with the maximum OAL length (max magazine length) & try to step back in .040 increments from that point.

Any ideas?
Old 10-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Berger's with Weatherby freebore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanders View Post
Has anyone had success with Bergers in their Weatherby's given the excessive freebore? I'm loading for 300Wby & going to try starting with the maximum OAL length (max magazine length) & try to step back in .040 increments from that point.

Any ideas?
I have a custom 300 I shoot, has free-bore but everything is very custom, turn neck, annealed every shot, etc. I shoot 210's at right around 3000 fps. Mine will not fit in the magazine, so I have a berger 210 in the chamber and 200 NAB in the box.

The last 2 groups at 1000 with the 210's were 3.25 and 5.5 in. 3 shots.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the post. I was beginning to get really frustrated with the VLDs in my 308. Anybody out there shoot a Savage and can recommend an COL?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Bronze Member

Marine Sniper:

I've got a .300 Win. Mag. (I know you have a .300 Wby.) I'll be loading up with 210 VLD's soon and was curious what flavor of powder you're using in you Berger 210 load and your Nosle 200 grian AB load. Thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

Great info - thanks Len