Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

When was there a reloading Manuel made. I email for help on reloading for a 300 win a few years ago and never heard back. I saw then they were working on one but stopped looking after no one responded. Recently I started playing with Bergers again and after this article got all rounds touching from 2 guns first expermintal loads. Since then I have gotten excellent customer service replies back regarding deformed meplats. Anyway how do I get the manual is it on your site
Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper1991 View Post
When was there a reloading Manuel made. I email for help on reloading for a 300 win a few years ago and never heard back. I saw then they were working on one but stopped looking after no one responded. Recently I started playing with Bergers again and after this article got all rounds touching from 2 guns first expermintal loads. Since then I have gotten excellent customer service replies back regarding deformed meplats. Anyway how do I get the manual is it on your site
@ Thumper1991...

The manual is on their site.., but I'm sure by now you already ordered it... I'm still new to all this reloading stuff, but I'm reading as much as possible... You got to love this stuff....

Last edited by jrivera1; 10-15-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Silver Member

I have cartridges loaded up for three different rifles (.257 Wby, .270 Win, .300 Win Mag) according to the instruction given. Before I get to go out and shoot these I have one question:

When firing each three shot group am I supposed to shoot the three as quickly as I can, or am I to wait several minutes between shots to allow cooling of the barrel?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

300winnie

Last edited by 300winnie; 07-23-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Added calibers
Old 07-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

You should never fire those cartridges as quickly as you can, as you'll soon be spittin rifling out the muzzle! I'd give them at least a minute shot rate in testing.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

Thanks,

That was what I was thinking...in fact my thought was to fire one round out of each gun and start over with the first. By the time I change guns, acquire the sight picture and squeeze the round off on three different guns I'm thinking that will give them ample time to cool between shots. Then give it 5 or 10 minutes between groups to let all three cool back down some.

It has been really hot here this summer, so I may need to help the cooling process between groups with some rubbing alcohol on the barrels.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stecker View Post
We decide to hold off on the 338 cal data until we could do more work with this caliber. As we develop load data for cases that are not in the manual and for new bullets we will put this new data into a "Loading Data" page on our website.

These new loads will also eventually end up in a 2nd addition of the manual but we won't even start thinking about a 2nd addition for several years.

Regards,
Eric
I am trying to use 250gr hybrid hunting bullets in my 338 Lapua mag., Savage LRH model 111
trouble i am seeing is magazine length COL of 3.753" leaves me with a .135" jump. Does it make any sense to seat any deeper and do I use the same .040" difference on test rounds ? or try seating closer to rifling thus making it a single shot ?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 PM
Bronze Member

anyone want to answer my previous post ?