Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 06:27 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

Thanks for the reply Mr. Stecker. I am able to shoot various distances at my club range which goes out to 600 yds. Where I hunt, I need to be consistant to 400 yards and this site has got me on my way to that goal.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUglyMan View Post
I hope they include that as a chapter in the someday-coming reloading manual.
I hope so as well.... I am expecting my Berger Reloading Manual this Friday....

I agree, the information was priceless....
Old 10-12-2012, 04:06 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera1 View Post
I hope so as well.... I am expecting my Berger Reloading Manual this Friday....

I agree, the information was priceless....
Thank you for your kind comments. This information is in the manual on page 100.

Regards,
Eric

Berger Bullets
Old 10-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

First of all...Thank You Berger (all of you)...great bullets, great service!

I've had a box of 175 grain Hunting VLD's for over a year...just never got around to serious load work up with them until last week. I had already checked to see how warm I could go...came up with 58.5 grains of H4350 with the bullet seated at 3.36" OAL...thats a good bit warmer than the QuickLoad data Berger sent me, but shows no signs of excessive pressure...velocity is 2,775 fps (@ 10')...this is a 30-06 by the way (new Winchester M70 Ultimate Shadow, 24" barrel)

I could go a bit longer if I really needed to but as best I can tell they are kissing the lands at 3.36"...below is the result...I didn't even have to turn a turret, the gun was sighted in for whatever factory ammo I used last year (forget now what it was)

.442" @ 100 yards...could likely be a bit better, my rest isn't exactly rock solid...the rifle has shot 168 Ballistic Tips into .3" from a better rest...this is just a plain Jane over the counter rifle...for now...I am waiting on a McMillan stock for it, should be here soon.

P.S. I checked for land contact by putting a VLD into a fired case (dented mouth) and closing the bolt. The marks from the lands were clearly visible (big wide lands, 4 groove barrel), I measured the OAL, pulled the bullet, measured the marks on the bullet...then subtracted that from the OAL...loaded them at 3.36" and PRESTO!

Last edited by Ridgerunner665; 10-12-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Bronze Member

Got my signed copy of Berger's Bullets Reloading Manual... A few years back I also purchased a signed copy of Applied Ballistic as well. Is the first 3000 copies of the Second Edition being signed as well? Lol

Got a chance to read a few random pages... Love the use of the term "Cartridge Base To Ogive" (CBTO) - first time hearing that. If I understood correctly Bryan uses COAL to measure the distance from cartridge base to tip, which is important for those of us who use mags and CBTO is self-explanatory

I have always had a hard time distinguishing between OAL and COAL.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Bronze Member

No Reloading Data on .338 - 300/250 gr Match Hybrid OTM Tactical bullets...? Ouchhh
Old 10-14-2012, 01:32 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera1 View Post
No Reloading Data on .338 - 300/250 gr Match Hybrid OTM Tactical bullets...? Ouchhh
We decide to hold off on the 338 cal data until we could do more work with this caliber. As we develop load data for cases that are not in the manual and for new bullets we will put this new data into a "Loading Data" page on our website.

These new loads will also eventually end up in a 2nd addition of the manual but we won't even start thinking about a 2nd addition for several years.

Regards,
Eric

Berger Bullets