Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

full length resizing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 07:02 AM
Gold Member

Re: full length resizing

Normally I raise my ram and screw the die down until it touches the ram and that is good enough. However I have a 243 that I had to do lik the instructions say, screw down until it touches ram then lower the ram and give another 1/4 turn. The new brass that I fire formed in the gun chambered fine but when my friend gave me some brass from another gun it would not chamber until I gave it that extra turn.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

You see, you can't go by set instructions because our chambers are all a bit different.
I think BountyHunter's advice is best. It's an approach that will dial you into correct sizing.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Gold Member

With the die set in my normal manner the fire formed brass chambered fine, but I bet I was almost kinda neck sizing. Not bumping the shoulder any. But on the brass he gave me that was fired in another gun I had to give the due that extra 1/4 turn like the instructions to get the shoulder bumped back far enough. I guess my gun is spaced really tight for a factory gun.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

It could be the gun is headspaced differently, it could be the temper of the brass or even the thickness. Thats why mike is instructing to set the die up the way he is. Because it doesnt matter what causes these problems if you creep up on the correct size for a particular batch of brass for a givin rifle.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

Generally you want to avoid too much play in the press leverage. So, begin your setup by first touching die to shellholder, then turn die down another 1/8 to further. Doing so will cam the press over center for concentricity reasons. This only gets you a starting point since all chambers are different, and preferences in handloading vary.
You will want to index your headspace especially on a new rifle so that you can monitor where your headspace is on a sized case vs a fired case. That gives you the knowledge on how to fine tune your die setup for better headspace variances and optimum brass life.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Generally you want to avoid too much play in the press leverage. So, begin your setup by first touching die to shellholder, then turn die down another 1/8 to further.
If this point is past -.002" past the required headspace to fit your case back into the rifle you are reloading for, you have already overworked the brass. If the die is touching the shell holder ,with the slop removed, when sizing a case how much farther can you push the case into the die?

Quote:
That is the factory answer to ensure it will chamber but almost guaranteed to shorten case life and lead to case separation pretty soon.. That works but the norm is to push shoulders back way too much.

For long case life and best accuracy yes come back off the shellholder and come down a 1/4 turn at a time until the case will just chamber without you feeling it. Now if you are measuring the shoulder setback you can fine tune to get the ideal .001 to .002 setback.
This is proper procedure for exact fit and longest case life.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Silver Member

[QUOTE=Canadian Bushman;916696]If this point is past -.002" past the required headspace to fit your case back into the rifle you are reloading for, you have already overworked the brass. If the die is touching the shell holder ,with the slop removed, when sizing a case how much farther can you push the case into the die?

..depends on the fired case size.. if you're measuring -.002 your gtg anyways.. the statement was made as a general starting point, there's no 'one size fits all'.. I agree that if you're not measuring and just sizing to chamber you're apt to oversize or over-bump the shoulder somewhat and resulting short case life.