Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Full lenght or Neck Sizing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Bronze Member

FL or neck sizing.

Thanks for the info fellas. Maybe Kirby sends out the sheet you referred to. If so I will get one with the 260 he is building for me. Of course he covered most of it in the informative dissertation above. I really appreciate someone knowledgeable like that taking the time to fully explain it to those of us who are learning. Thanks

Kirby, I will send you scopes for the two rifles you are building for me soon.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Nyles,

Read Kirby's post above about the new term "Partial full length resizing" With the APS Allen Mags and I suppose the AXs this is critical. It took me way to long to catch on to this technique.

Too little resize results in a ring at the base of the neck.
Too much resize results in wrinkled cases just below the shoulder.

W/my die that's not very much of a turn. More like a tweak.

Once you get it its there forever.

Then for starting new cases like necking 300s to 270 slip a gasket/thin washer of about a dime's thickness between the die locking ring and top of the press and you're ready to do the initial neck size for fire forming with out dinking with the die setting.

It took my way too long to catch on to this also.

270fan. Even though the Good Book says "thou shalt not......" I envy your situation. Two rifles at APS:o Ya ought not post such stuff. It causes grief.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

I shoot competition as well as load for my sporters. I FL everything but that being said all of my dies are cut from the same finish reamer that were used for the barrel.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Gold Member

Roy I think he's got all my parts....whooohhhooooo itll be here soon!

But a computer wiz like yourself needs to move that last Kirby post to the AM pages...be a great place to put it for future referrence
Old 09-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
I shoot competition as well as load for my sporters. I FL everything but that being said all of my dies are cut from the same finish reamer that were used for the barrel.

Boss Hoss

If your are using dies made with the chamber reamer you really are not sizing anything, much less FL sizing. They should have been cut with a resize reamer that is undersize slightly on the body and shoulder to give you some sizing, otherwise you cannot squeeze something down with a die the exact same size as the brass.

Jim Carstenson has a very good article on this very thing. He is just one of many that have discussed this.

Full-Length Bushing Dies and Die Conversions

BH
Old 09-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Bronze Member

Roy, The 260 Kirby is building is for me and the 270 he is building is a gift that I am giving to my son. Have always wanted a custom built rifle and so has my son ... so ... Im getting them for us. I am too old for it to do me much good but at his age he has life time ahead of him to enjoy a good rifle.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
Boss Hoss

If your are using dies made with the chamber reamer you really are not sizing anything, much less FL sizing. They should have been cut with a resize reamer that is undersize slightly on the body and shoulder to give you some sizing, otherwise you cannot squeeze something down with a die the exact same size as the brass.

Jim Carstenson has a very good article on this very thing. He is just one of many that have discussed this.

Full-Length Bushing Dies and Die Conversions

BH

BH --- good catch! The Wilson seating dies are cut with the finish reamer. Resize reamer is used for the sizing dies and to rough the chamber.