Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Frustrating Fliers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 01:52 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Frustrating Fliers

Very well said.
I am trimming my cases to uniform length but I do notice that some cases seem to have a thicker wall. I assume that if I can notice that with the naked eye, that might be causing some variance in neck pressure, but don't know for sure.
The advice you gave is exactly the advice that one of my friends gave he (he's the one that got me into reloading). Check the action screws and too much pressure/varying pressure on barrel of non-floating barrel.
At the range I was resting the barrel instead of the stock on the sandbag and I was holding the top of the barrel just above the edge of the stock with my left hand. I know that sometimes I was applying more pressure down with my left hand than others. Didn't even think at that time that this could be a problem. But I will try a different form and see if that helps lose the flier.
Concerning the seating, I'm not for sure as to the best terminology, but I may be jumping a little. Here's what I did...seated a dummy round by using the pressure on the bold to jam the bullet into the case. Then I used the press to try to match that depth and after I load each round, I run it through my chamber and eject it (just to make sure that the bullet won't stick in the barrel out in the field when I eject). So all that to say...the bullet may not be jammed too hard into the lands, but this seems to give me the best groups.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_unzicker View Post
At the range I was resting the barrel instead of the stock on the sandbag and I was holding the top of the barrel just above the edge of the stock with my left hand. I know that sometimes I was applying more pressure down with my left hand than others. Didn't even think at that time that this could be a problem. But I will try a different form and see if that helps lose the flier.

this could very well be the culprit....try to avoid at all cost resting on the barrel..this will kill accuracy very quickly...always rest on the stock..if the barrel isnt free floated, rest the rifle as far back as possible on the forearm....this will minimize pressure on the barrel from the forearm....
Old 12-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_unzicker View Post
As discussed on an earlier forum about seating next to the lands, I climbed the ladder and found that the top of the ladder was a 62 grain charge of IMR4831 for my 7RM (168 VLD's). I then worked to vary the seating depth and found that this charge was most accurate when the bullet was jammed into the lands. In a 5 shot grouping at 300 yards I am able to put 4 bullets in a 2" group, but I am getting one flier 4" outside the group regularly. Any thoughts? Neck tention issues? I noticed that the thickness of my neck casings vary (just by eyeballing it). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I had occational flyers in my .222Rem. Out of 20 shots it would at least give me 4 flyers. There were also pressure signs on those that were flyers. The Standard Diviation on the load was as low as 9.8fps. With the load there was nothing wrong. I had tested for donuts, but there were nothing. My problem was that I had accumelated cases over the past 20 years when I had not done any reloading. This had the result that my brass got mixed up - some reloaded more than others. I solved this by annealing all the cases and that was the end to my problem. The reason was probably that the flexibility of the brass were differed.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Bronze Member

Whoa ..... on resting the barrel on anything. Whether it's a bag, cushion or custom rest nothing needs to be touching or supporting the barrel when firing for accuracy. I think everyone would agree that free-floating a barrel is a staple of putting together an accurate rifle. Resting the barrel on anything defeats that purpose as the consistency of barrel harmonics and/or pressure points completely changes.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Bronze Member

Yeah, I'm hearing that message loud and clear. Thanks everybody. I made some adjustments in my benchrest set up today when I went to the range. Front bag was on the stock 5" away from the end of the stock; barrel was free.
Shot .5 MOA and my velocity stabilized greatly from shot to shot. What a difference, and no fliers. I'm glad it was something easy and free (you know how this sport can catch up with you dollar wise quickly if your not watching).
I'm very happy with my set up now. I just need to settle in on a midrange scope--a good beginners scope that I can upgrade from if I really get into the long range regularly--but not so cheap that it is a complete waist from the beginning.
What do you guys think about the Vortex 6-24x50 (the old 1" tube that is on sale for $99 on www.swfa.com)? I like the price and the reviews on the scope. Supposed to be fully multicoated, clear, and have clean, percise MOA adjustments. Only concern is that it list max MOA adjustment of 25. If that means 25 total (12.5 above and 12.5 below zero), I would need a 20 MOA base to use this scope long range...even then it might max out short. If it is 25 above and 25 below zero, I should be OK close to 1000 yards with my 7RM.
Any thoughts?
Old 12-16-2010, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

Good scope for the money. Got one.

50 moa total.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Gold Member

Try shooting another ladder at your current seating depth and finding a powder charge with better spreads and no vertical most likely.
And no flyers
I just noticed you are testing the barrel on the bags.
Dont do that and you will be good for your next ladder test.

Last edited by RockZ; 12-20-2010 at 05:14 PM.