Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Fouling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Bronze Member

Fouling

I guess im a cleanning nut, cause my dad taught me to always clean my gunn after every hunt. I have always done this and barrel is always shiny. Does this mean I have no copper fouling? The patches show black and I wipe till patch is clean. Have used Hoppes with brass brush every time then the patches. Have 3 guns an all have stainless barrels. Been tinking about tring the foam.
Geno
Old 02-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Fouling

I completely clean guns after every use as well. Same deal.

Copper and carbon are very tenacious. You can 'clean' a barrel for clean patches dropping, without even getting to copper, or the tough carbon(as this fouling is technically -clean).
Don't be surprised to find some with the stronger chemicals available.

Last edited by Mikecr; 02-13-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

A lot of factors to consider in deciding when to clean a rifle.

How much powder has been burned
What was the pressure
What kind of powder was it
What kind of bullet are you shooting
What is the velocity of the bullet
What RPM are you operating at

Most importantly what is the history of the rifle and accuracy versus rounds fired.

Even when a patch comes out clean it does not mean that the first part of the throat is clean. For a 308 that may see up to 180 rounds during a single F-class match, I will let it soak in foam for an hour or so and then patch that out and then soak it another hour or so and then patch that out. Then I use Butches mostly, alternating with a little copper cleaner every once in a while. At about the 300 round or 400 round mark I will use a plastic brush with a patch and coat it with JB paste and work right on the throat to remove carbon right there.

For a cartridge that burns more than 100 grains of powder at a time, then I clean much more frequently. There is no such luxury of getting anywhere close to 100 rounds before cleaning.

I shoot a lot of RL22 and it really does like to be cleaned up more frequently than Varget or something like IMR 4064.

If your rifle does not like a clean barrel then cleaning is highly unproductive if you wish to kill an animal. If you simply wish to have a clean barrel and do not care about killing a deer then by all means go indulge your self.

I typically try not to hunt with a clean barrel. I check my zero before each season and/or after any significant event which could have affected the zero and then hunt with the barrel with maybe two to six rounds down it. When the season is over then I do a final cleaning before putting it away.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Gold Member

Do your normal cleaning routine, then leave wipeout in overnight, then brush and patch. You'll be surprised how much crap comes out. I did exactly what you do, and then tried wipeout.

Now I use Montana Extreme and wipeout.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliveralan View Post
Now I use Montana Extreme and wipeout.
This stuff seriously works.

As far as when to clean a gun..
My father assured me that a dirty gun is offensive, and disrespectful.
So for 35yrs, I've respected my guns.
I could reach in the safe right now and pull out a gun that is cleaner than new, and easily drop a dear at 500yds with a single -cold -clean bore shot.
This is what HUNTING guns used to be about.

A clean bore, or 'pre-fouled' clean bore is as much a pre-condition for accuracy as a filthy bore. It's just that my precondition sets me up for exactly one shot, right where I need it.
I have always, after every trip to the range, cleaned the bore to the metal(as verified by borescoping). Then I wash it out with alcohol, let it dry, and then dry burnish the bore with graphite, or tungsten(for the past 15yrs).
I clean out the action, bolt, regrease, and wipe the whole gun down with Shooter's choice 'Rust Prevent'(great stuff). Then it goes back in the safe.

By then it's brass is ultrasonically cleaned, and it's ammo will be far better than any sold before it goes into the safe with that gun.
Ready for HUNTING.

Competitors take sighters, prefoulers, barrel warmers, or even spotters along, to precondition before 'counting' their shots. Yet even with this, most cannot relate to hunting as being completely different.
And there is the flipside, with hunters group shooting like they're ever gonna hit a dear with 5shots in the heart. IMO, they should focus instead on hitting once -first,, as this is the challenge at hand for them.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Bore Tech Eliminator is the best barrel cleaner I've found. Clean your barrel with your favorite cleaner and then use some Bore Tech and you will likely get some more copper out! I have also found that MANY barrels, even hand lapped custom ones, need a few fouling shots to come back to zero and shoot their best......Rich
Old 02-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

There is no 'coming back to zero' in hunting. Your first shot IS your zero.
If that's inconsistent, then you're not leaving your barrel in a ready state.

I can't find a link, but there was a good article recently published that resolved leaving oil in a bore after cleaning as a very wrong thing to do(for a hunting .
This is because it took atleast 10shots just to burn that oil out of the bore full length. And until it was burned out, fouling was not true to that your zero may have been based on.
Oil is very tenacious by design.
So however you leave the bore, it isn't 'ready' until the bore is dry.