Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Forster Seating Not Seating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Silver Member

Forster Seating Not Seating

I have the Forster Bench Rest Ultra Micrometer Seater Die for my 7 mm rem mag. I use 162 gr A-max. I realize that bullets will vary some measuring from the ogive, but too many times when I go to seat the bullet, the die will not move the bullet at all. Say I want to move the bullet .005 to get to the correct depth. I dial the micrometer and it doesn't seat the bullet the .005 nor does it move the bullet period. I adjust the micrometer again say .003 and then it may seat the bullet .008. Does this mean that I have a bad spring or what?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: Forster Seating Not Seating

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendero72 View Post
I have the Forster Bench Rest Ultra Micrometer Seater Die for my 7 mm rem mag. I use 162 gr A-max. I realize that bullets will vary some measuring from the ogive, but too many times when I go to seat the bullet, the die will not move the bullet at all. Say I want to move the bullet .005 to get to the correct depth. I dial the micrometer and it doesn't seat the bullet the .005 nor does it move the bullet period. I adjust the micrometer again say .003 and then it may seat the bullet .008. Does this mean that I have a bad spring or what?
I have had mine do that on some highly compressed loads but I'm not sure of the cause. I hope some of the more technically savy members will have a good answer.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

Need some help guys.......please!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Gold Member

Mine will occaisionally do that for small changes such as .005 on certain bullets..In my experience so far the Hornadys v-max are the biggest culprit...what I will do to correct it is overadjust to 10 or 15 thous. then go back to my original small adjustment of 5 thous. I think the variation in the bullet has a lot more to do with limiting the change in depth than the die does. Reason Im saying that is bc when I go to make small adjustments while loading up some bergers..I dont need to over adjust, if I want .003 deeper, I turn the die another .003 and thats what I get.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Gold Member

I've had the same problem with my Forster Dies and Hornady bullets. I loaded 5 rounds so they could see the seating depth variation. ( I have an advantage here. I only live 30 miles form Lanark Ill) The 2 calibers i had problems with were my 223 & 308. What Bob did was make me new seating stems to more closely match the ogive on the Hornady bullets.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendero72 View Post

don't think I'm nuts!

There will be a certain amount of backlash built into the micrometer head on any of them (all brands), so you must take the backlash out of the adjustment before making the move to the desired number. You seat a bullet, and want to come out three thousandths more, then you should move the head back about ten thousandths and then go to the desired number.

Now there was a comment about compressed loads. I can well see this, but have never had that problem. How much bullet grip have you built into the neck? Also check the seater head to make sure it is secure. Refering to the spring; I doubt it, but you might make a.007" shim and put it under the spring on one end. If it helps then maybe your onto something.
gary
Old 06-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter2678 View Post
Mine will occaisionally do that for small changes such as .005 on certain bullets..In my experience so far the Hornadys v-max are the biggest culprit...what I will do to correct it is overadjust to 10 or 15 thous. then go back to my original small adjustment of 5 thous. I think the variation in the bullet has a lot more to do with limiting the change in depth than the die does. Reason Im saying that is bc when I go to make small adjustments while loading up some bergers..I dont need to over adjust, if I want .003 deeper, I turn the die another .003 and thats what I get.
what you did was to remove the backlash in the threads of the die. I usually see .003" to .005" in mine
gary