Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

For the Forster owners....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 12:05 AM

For the Forster owners....

I've been reloading for a (very) long time but have not loaded for rifle in years. With my grandkids now getting into centerfire rifle and deer hunting I'm going to start back up. I load all my pistol ammo on a Dillon and have my turrets and old single-stage's set up for specific little pistol-related chores, so...

I've decided that Forster is the way I'm gonna' go on a new press. I value accuracy above all other in rifle loads and since it's not a high volume game like handgun ammo, time per round is not a factor. I've not personally had a chance to fondle any of the Forster dies but if they're like their other products, no doubt they're good. I don't crimp my bolt-action rounds so the lack of crimp in the Forster seater is no issue if consistency and runout are well controlled. I'm just wondering if anyone likes other brands (Redding "Competition" series, in particular) any better...and, why? FWIW, I'm going to be loading .270 Winchester, 7MM Mag & .243.

Any comments welcome.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: For the Forster owners....

IMO the forester BR dies are one of the best values for the money in the die arena.

Particularily when you compare their micro seater to the Redding and the cost difference.

BH
Old 12-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: For the Forster owners....

I really like the Forster BR seater dies. Very minimal runout and accuracy with seating depth and very affordable for a high quality. I've used their FL die and they are pretty good, but since I want to do neck tension, I go with a Redding Type S FL die for that purpose. If your interested in bushings and want to use Forster, then you'll have to get their shoulder bump die. I haven't owned one of them because I've heard from alot of BR shooters that Forster bushings are not always on the money (i.e. a .268" is actually a .267" bushing). If your interested in neck tension and bushings, give either a Redding S type a shot or get a Wilson die (very good reputation) but you'll have to get an arbor press to use their dies.