Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Forster CoAx or Redding Ultramag????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 AM

Forster CoAx or Redding Ultramag????

I am buying a 338-378 Weatherby magnum and cannot use my old RCBS for reloading due to the length of the round. I am looking at a Forster CoAx or Redding Ultramag. I have never used neither and do not know anyone that has either. I am worried about the Forster producing accurate over all length due to the floating dies. Any thoughts or sudgestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Forster CoAx or Redding Ultramag????

I wouldn't worry about the accuracy of the Forester press. I shoot less than 0.05 MOA with ammo loaded on it for my 7STW and 338 EDGE. The floating die system is specifically why I bought it. I beleive the military snipers use this same press,but someone else in the know might verify that. I also like how easy it is to change dies. It takes literally 2 seconds.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

Do not worry yourself about consistent OAL with the Forster. I have one and it does a great job. keep the plate where the cases sit nice and clean and this press makes nice straight ammo and is a breeze to change out dies.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 PM

I've been sitting on the same fence trying to figure out which press/die combination to purchase. The RCBS r*ckf*cker I wound up buying out of convenience would suit me fine as an anchor.

Most folks push the Lee collet dies over most probably because of $$. I'd be interested in what folks with the Forster press wind up using...
Old 11-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

I use Forester dies, or Redding dies with Forester die rings. Doesn't get any better than that for what I do.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:51 AM
Silver Member

Unless you need something else, I like a Redding O-frame press. In this case, the Big Boss would serve well. Either Forster or Redding Competition dies are good. If you don't need a micrometer, the Forster BR seater works well.

Last edited by Winchester 69; 11-05-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:02 AM
Platinum Member

Forster CoAx ???

I don't think you can genuinely find a better press for making very accurate ammo!!! and on top of that it will collect all the dirty used primers in a container completely out of your way. 2 sec. die switching and when you put them away there's absolutely no need to make any readjustments when you have to use them again. Truly an awesome press.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!