Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Forming 6.5-06 AI cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by dmgreene View Post
Thanks Cat and Boss. Thats what I like I like about this site, people that have been there, done that. Cat I agree with you about the Nosler brass not being worth the extra money. The only reason I was considering it was I figured I would offset some of the cost of the brass by maybe not having to fire form. Cat if I fireform using Lapua 30-06 brass will I have turn the necks if the chamber is cut for a no turn neck? Boss when you say fill 3/4 of the case full of bullseye, is this an aproximate measurement or do you have an exact charge for th 6.5 AI? Do you pack the case tight with cotten or just enough to keep the powder from falling out and how often do you need clean the barrel when fireforming, if at all?

Very good questions----I learned this method from Speedy Gonzalez a BR HOF Member and one of the best Smiths around. The 75% I have used to make 6ppc all the way to the 338 Lapua variant which is the largest used by me.. Speedy has done well over 200k this way over the years.

The cotton or wax if you prefer is just to keep the powder from falling out packing is not recommended or needed…

Heat builds up quickly doing this and the best way to cool is to use a can of compressed air but turn it upside down and it will cool the barrel in a matter of seconds. I run a brush with butches about every 25 to 30 rounds or so. On my dedicated fire form barrels which I only have a few I run a 100 or so before I run a patch through. The bore scope has verified that this does not damage the bore however, when not using a dedicated fire form barrel the most I have ever done was 200 rounds.

Always when possible use Lapua Brass.
The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!