Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Forming 6.5-06 AI cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Silver Member

Forming 6.5-06 AI cases

Was wondering about forming 6.5 AI cases. If I remember right, I think Kirby wrote that he used 25-06 brass and simply loaded with boat tail bullets without having to neck size. Now that Nosler makes 280 AI brass would it be a better option to just neck size that brass down to 6.5 and have a case that is ready to go?
Thanks David
Old 12-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgreene View Post
Was wondering about forming 6.5 AI cases. If I remember right, I think Kirby wrote that he used 25-06 brass and simply loaded with boat tail bullets without having to neck size. Now that Nosler makes 280 AI brass would it be a better option to just neck size that brass down to 6.5 and have a case that is ready to go?
Thanks David
Make sure to check the chamber length on your rifle... the 06 case is 2.494", and the 280 Rem is 2.540".

Make sure that you don't pinch the bullet at the step of the mouth.

Also... the neck/shoulder on the 6.5-06 is 2.175".
The neck shoulder for the 280 AI is also 2.175", so you will have to set back the shoulder about 15 thou for the smaller neck size.

But the biggest thing is that most shooters don't think Nosler brass is so good. Depending on who you talk to, it is made by either Hornady, or Winchester... is it worth the premium price??
I don't know any serious shooters that are using it.

I would fire form the cases from 30-06 Lapua brass. Much more better brass.

LRH member #23
Old 12-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Just fill the case 3/4 with Bullseye and stick in a little piece of cotton ball and point it up and fire... Very easy and it works every single time period. Why waste barrel life fire forming? Have done thousands this way.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Cat and Boss. Thats what I like I like about this site, people that have been there, done that. Cat I agree with you about the Nosler brass not being worth the extra money. The only reason I was considering it was I figured I would offset some of the cost of the brass by maybe not having to fire form. Cat if I fireform using Lapua 30-06 brass will I have turn the necks if the chamber is cut for a no turn neck? Boss when you say fill 3/4 of the case full of bullseye, is this an aproximate measurement or do you have an exact charge for th 6.5 AI? Do you pack the case tight with cotten or just enough to keep the powder from falling out and how often do you need clean the barrel when fireforming, if at all?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgreene View Post
Thanks Cat and Boss. Thats what I like I like about this site, people that have been there, done that. Cat I agree with you about the Nosler brass not being worth the extra money. The only reason I was considering it was I figured I would offset some of the cost of the brass by maybe not having to fire form. Cat if I fireform using Lapua 30-06 brass will I have turn the necks if the chamber is cut for a no turn neck? Boss when you say fill 3/4 of the case full of bullseye, is this an aproximate measurement or do you have an exact charge for th 6.5 AI? Do you pack the case tight with cotten or just enough to keep the powder from falling out and how often do you need clean the barrel when fireforming, if at all?

You won't have to turn the necks.

There is a technique called "COW" which means Cream Of Wheat... put a small load of fast posto; powder in the case. Fill it with Cream f Wheat, and point it up and fire.

The amount is not critical, but start low, and increase until the case shoulders fill out fully.

Search "COW" or C.O.W." on this site, and some other sites like:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/6mmbr

... and you will find what you need.

LRH member #23
Old 12-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Gold Member

standard COW load for the 06 based case is 11 gr of unique, fill with cow, tap case to settle cow, plug with toilet paper or paper towel, if you have a brake, remove it, watch barrel heat.
But kirby's method should work well, and prolly shoot accurate enough for break-in, sighting in, and some hunting.
RR
Old 12-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

If you blow out the cases as the guys are telling you you will have to trim the case mouth as they will come out of the chamber looking like a roller coaster, no where near square. At least that`s what I found when forming .221 fireball brass for .25 cal.