Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Forester presses??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

Forester presses??

Thinking of buying one, anyone have any input on them - pros & cons? Thanks!
Old 09-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Forester presses??

Pros: Lots of leverage/power, very good for reforming cases. Decent semi-universal shell holder system. Floating die retention system. Very good spent primer catcher system. Prestige value.

Cons: Ergomomics of the long throw lever AND the straight out lever AND straight in/out case insertion is awkward to some. The short 'wish-bone' lever design of the older models restricted the use of some tall seating dies. Need to use thick Forster type die lock rings on every die. A lot of extra cost for little real ammo quality or user benefit.

Opinion: It's certainly a good press. Some people credit it for loading highly concentric ammo but I found no justification for that. Fact is, a round case WILL align itself in a round hole in a die very precisely unless there is some massive side force preventing it from doing so and no press made is that poorly aligned!

Fact: It's much to costly for my taste. Given the same dies and components I can make equal quality ammo on much less expensive presses.

Last edited by boomtube; 09-04-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Gold Member

I've made great ammo at the range with a cheap portable lee press and the Lee perfect powder measure clamped to a shooting bench. 10 shots into 1/4" with a 260 AI.

BUT,
The Forster press is absolutely awesome. It is very straight and you will make very concentric ammo.

I have seen other presses where the ram is not exactly in line with the die and there is a side moment introduced in the sizing and seating process.

You will not have to worry about that with the Forster.

It's the best press out there!

Will others work? Of course, but the Forster is the best!

Last edited by RockZ; 09-04-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

I've been using the same one since the summer of 1978. I paid the gastly price of $83 for it without a single die! The press is just as tight and square right now as it was in 1978, and I do some very heavy case forming with mine. I've worn out two sets of jaws, and lost the springs for the jaws more than once. Mine is so old that it uses a regular shell holder for the priming device instead of the current sliding jaws (the I.D. is a little bigger than the off the shelf ones you buy, so I just run a Hi-Roc drill thru them in a lathe. The press is very square, and the case seats directly ontop of the bolster plate. Thus eleminating any error in the shell holder. The only thing the jaws really do is to retain the sized case once you raise the die off it. My press gets a few drops of three in one oil a couple times a year. Never had a problem with die clearence, and I load some Weatherby stuff. Just simply avoid Redding junk, and you won't see that problem. I do not use the Forster lock rings! I use steel Lyman rings that have roughly .005" clearence in the slot. Means little as the ring seats against the top of the slot when it has pressure on it. I never adjust the die once I have it setup again. Repeatability is exceptional, and the only thing I found better is my L.E. Wilson setup in an arbor press. Bullets will almost always be in the .0015" TIR range with either setup. I can take the dies out of the press and put them up for a year, and return to the exact same settings in about thirty seconds. But best of all, I can full length resize 30-06 cases with two fingers! This is critical when doing this big long strait walled cases. The Forster priming device supplied with the press seats the primer between .004" and .005" below the face everytime.

One thing I don't like about the Forster (and most of the others) is the way the set on the bench. The set too low for my eyes! I built a six inch riser out of aluminum, and that made a world of difference. Then I built an eight inch one and a ten and a half inch one. Eight inches seems about right (I also angled the one so the press tilts back about twenty degrees). Also when I want to cut the neck off a modified case the Forster is a pain in the neck. I have a cheap RCBS Partner setting beside it just for that application (and nothing else)

So remember this: if you buy one all your buddys will laugh at you for spending way too much money. But after about ten years they will buy three more presses while your still using the same one. I went thru the same thing, and now better than half just happen to own the same press I do
good shooting
gary
Old 09-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

Still considering one, haven't taken the "plunge" just yet. I like what I'm seeing on them. Stumbled into a small local gunshop\smith who swears by them and sells them for $260. Sound reasonable? He obviously claims they're the best and the only reason he stocks and sells them is because noone else locally does and they are what he has always used........
Old 09-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Gold Member

Looks like a good price. Cabela's had them on sale for 229 but with shipping would probably bring it to about 250
Old 09-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

Wonder why Cabella's doesn't have them in their local store here?? Same town as that little gunshop....