Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

? for folks smarter than me...well ok, ? for everybody

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: ? for folks smarter than me...well ok, ? for everybody

Jim, I think the smith goes by the standards that the sharp shoulders and very little body taper holds back case stretch and if your running moderately high pressures you'll lose primer pockets before the length needs to be addressed.
I'm a fudge over a max load with this powder and a 2 gr increase will deprime the cases, so its not under pressure.
I'm sure its chambered tighter than most rifles but this guy has built alot of rifles for the pa 1k bench rest club, and what I've told you is what he's told me. could just be something I do thats different I don't know.
I know that removing .002 from the casenecks resulted in less pressure with 1 less grain powder charge and 200 fps increase in MV
JS
Old 04-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Gold Member

gg, you read it right, I can take a loaded cartridge, and a fired one and I must use alot of force to push the fired cartridge over the protruding bullet of the loaded one.
after taking .002 off the neck, they measure .013 on one side and .014 on the other, think I see how it goes to even a coule up and try it there.
the smith said this case from locking the die down in the press, he suggested an 0-ring between the press and the lock ring, personaly I think its the spring clip that hold the shellholder in place on the rockchucker press, lots of folks have trouble with them. I use a larger shellholder for seating bullets to hold run-out to a min.
JS
JS
Old 04-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

How many firings are on those cases. I bet if you anneal them you will get more consistant expansion if the cases have a few firings or more on them.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-21-2007, 03:03 AM
Gold Member

kirby, the cases have been fireformed and fired a max of 1 time. would they allready need annealing?
I did notice all my casenecks are uneven, I turned a couple down to .010" that evened them up.
JS
Old 04-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would not think they would need annealing already but it may be worth a try. Conventional wisdom would say they should not need it.

You had to turn your necks down that much just get them even???? Wow!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Gold Member

ok, turned 5 cases to .010 neck thickness, loaded with 60 gr re22, with .012 neck thickness this load ran 3250 fps, at .010 they chrony's 3206, 3203, 3204, 3219 with no pressure signs. What now go up 1/2 grain and see if I can pick up any velocity?
I can now slip a bullet into a fired case with about .001 clearance
loaded rounds mic .285 fired ones .288 to .289. 2 of the five I loaded were a lil loose in the pockets but none blew the primer, I am however getting just a bit more cratering than I was with .012 necks.
JS
Old 04-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Gold Member

yeah kirby on the initial resizing I could see the difference in the false shoulder, the smith said its from tightening the die down tight against the lockring, I'm thinking the spring clip in the rockchucker that holds the shellholder may hold the shellholder out of alignment, I plan on removing it and replacing it with an o-ring I've heard this helps here's a pic of the false shoulder, you can see its only on one side

JS