Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

FLS belted magnums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Bronze Member

FLS belted magnums

I know I seen this posted once somewhere but couldn't find it so please bear with me.

If I understand this right. I take one of my fire formed 300wm belted cases and measure the head space with my little head space gauge thingy and set my FLS die to that measurement and everything should work OK and the head spacing should be correct? Has anyone experiance the bulge I have read about that some say developes right above the belt when you FLS belted magnums after about 3 shootings?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:16 PM

bulge

Go to Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment and this die will fix ya right up.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Bronze Member

I have already been to that site but not sure yet if that is necessary or not. I have been investigating this issue and so far many have said the collet is not necessary but some claim it is. That is what I am trying to find out. Do you use that collett on belted magnums? Are you affiliated with them in any way?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:50 PM

bulge

No I'm not affiliated with them at all,I just know it worked on my .300wm.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

I am not sure of the question you are asking.

Head space is the distance from the base to the front of the belt.

Bulge is just the part immediately in front of the belt being too large in diameter.

For bulge you can grind off the bottom of your FLS die a little so it goes down further to the shell holder. But it will move your shoulder back by that amount also. If your loads are already over max then you may eat your bolt which will cost a lot of money at the orthodontist.

For bulge, another trick is to take a spare FLS and cut it off below the shoulder and grind the base down a little. This way it will not move the shoulder but will remove the bulge. It has a few side affects but they are minimal. You will ruin a few hacksaw blades trying to cut the hard steel.

Last edited by Buffalobob; 06-03-2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Bronze Member

I haven't ran into the bulge but I have read that a bulge can develope right above the belt on a belted magnum because the FLS die will only go to the belt and no lower. I was just wondering if anyone here who reloads belted magnum have experianced this bulge. The collett die trebor is talking about is suppose to get rid of the bulge and does get good reviews from some but others say it is not necessary. You use the collett die by innovated technolgies after you FLS with your normal die and it is said it will get rid of the bulge without setting the shoulder back. I guess you FLS and set the shoulder back to the desired specs and then you use the collett die to get rid of the bulge but without disturbing your already bumped shoulder. I have several belted mag reloaders tell me though that they don't have any trouble with any bulge by FLS their belted magnums, so I am hesitant to spend $90 on the collett die unless I truly will need it.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

SJ,
I've been shooting the 7mmRM for about 15 yrs and I have never had a problem with that bulge appearing above the belt. I'm not saying it doesn 't happen, just hasn't happened to me.
Several years back I was fortunate enough to purchase 500 virgin Remington brass for $20.00 at a gun show. The first thing I did was FL resize them all, as I loaded/needed them. I kept them segregated as I shot them. On the next two loadings I only necked sized, some were a tight fit but I shot them anyway. I started over on that brass for a 4th loading (FL resizing again) but traded out rifles. I probably loaded at the higher end (hot) most of the time. That first barrel went south, the brass? they are still sitting in my closet (smoking, lol)!
No split necks, bulged or separated bases that I've seen from that lot. I saw the IT collet when it first came on the market and thought "I had to have it". I tried my best to talk myself into needing it, but I never could. I measured alot of my brass before and after resizing and decided the die was doing a sufficient job.
Do you "need" the collet? That's your call. I didn't then and don't now. JohnnyK.