Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Flawed or not, will this work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Bronze Member

Flawed or not, will this work?

Okay I want accuracy plus speed. I know faster does not always equate to better accuracy but I want a blend of both. Here is my game plan on developing some future hand loads. My goal is to achieve the best accuracy/speed combo without wasting a lot of components and since I have started reloading various calibers I am working up a collection of partial powder containers.

Step 1: Load up one cartridge of each weight stepping up in .5 grain increments from min to max. Shoot each cartridge over the chronograph going from lightest charged to heaviest. Watching for pressure signs and monitoring speed. This step is basically to test the upper end of the charge scale and see if it is safe in my rifle and also to see the approximate fps gain for each half grain increment and see if the speed increase flattens at a given point.

Step 2: Once complete with step one load up 3 cartridges each of the top 5 loads from above. Now shoot these for groups at 100 still using my chronograph. If one load shows promise then work around it in smaller increments and more shots per group (maybe 5). If not try a different powder that I have on hand known to work in the cartridge I am loading and repeat from step 1.

Again my goal is to find a good accurate load with upper end velocity. I know sometimes slower is more accurate in certain combinations, but I feel with the right combination I should be able to get both or at least a good balance.

Thinking out loud but thought this would be good food for the brain!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Flawed or not, will this work?

Looks good but I'd do step one at no less than 200 yards (preferably 300 yds) and I'd only load up 3 of the top 3 for step 2.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Flawed or not, will this work?

I would as well shoot at 200 yds while running your initial ladder test, but I for sure would use 5 rounds per group, taking notes of grouing size and ES etc. And then I would again use 5 shots per group after you narrow down the top 5 sets. Good luck, and let us know how youmake out.