Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

'Flattened' primer pictures?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2006, 06:47 AM
Gold Member

Re: \'Flattened\' primer pictures?

[ QUOTE ]
Catshooter, .025" of excess headspace is going to give far greater problems than flat primers. I strongly urge anyone that has a rifle, with more than .004" of headspace, to avoid shooting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doc...

0.004" means that statistically, 80% to 90% of rifles out here are un-shootable.

That's an unachievable standard for mass produced rifles and ammunition.

Do you think all of your rifles meet that same 0.004" standard with new brass??

Put three pieces of scotch tape across a new case head (0.006"), and chamber a round - if the bolt closes without force, and doesn't tear the tape, then throw the rifle away, or take it to a gunsmith, cuz by your definition, it is dangerous and has too much head space to shoot!

If you do take it to a reputable gunsmith, be prepaired to be laughed at.

LRH member #23
Old 11-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Gold Member

I am the reputable gunsmith. I think you are confusing rifles headspace with cartridge headspace. Any gunsmith who delivers a rifle to a customer with headspace in excess of .004" is a fool. When the chamber is cut the bolt should close on the "Go" and not close on the "No Go". Most all "NO Go" are .004" longer than "Go". We have no control over how the factories load their ammunition but SAAMI does. The excess headspace you refer to is cartridge headspace. The factory loaded round may, in fact, be short but I have yet to see one .025" short. even the belted magnums, which have long been notorious for deep chambers, do not have this much of a discrepency.
I have chambered several barrels for customers, as well as my own and my wifes' BR rifles, that readily interchange brass with only "bumping" the shoulder .001".
Old 11-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
0.004" means that statistically, 80% to 90% of rifles out here are un-shootable. That's an unachievable standard for mass produced rifles and ammunition.

[/ QUOTE ]Well, the H & H belted cases have a GO gage length of .220-inch. Their NO-GO gage is .223-inch; three-thousandths of an inch difference. I've measured new case headspace for over 40 years and they've all been averaging about .004-inch short of the NO-GO gage; .219-inch.

How in the Dickens did all the barrel fitters and ammo makers achieve that virtual 100% "shootable" condition?
Old 11-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I am the reputable gunsmith. I think you are confusing rifles headspace with cartridge headspace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my orginal post - I am not talking about chamber specs alone - nmor am I talking about custom rifles. I am talking about the accumulated, total working headspace of factory rifles with factory ammunition... not custom BR rifles with custom handloads.

And I spent my early years as a working gunsmith, before going back to engineering school.

LRH member #23
Old 11-06-2006, 05:26 AM
Gold Member

OK. You win.